We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. John's Itinerary

Guelph
Level Contributor
65 posts
64 reviews
St. John's Itinerary

We will be spending 6 of our 14 days in St. John's. Does this look like a good itinerary? Are there things you would change, skip or recommend we do differently? (We are a family of 4 with a 9 & 12 year old)

Day 1 - Fly in late afternoon, explore downtown, groceries etc.

Day 2 - Signal Hill, Johnson Geo Centre, Terry Fox Monument & The Rooms

Day 3 - Colony of Avalon, Ferryland Lighthouse Picnic, La Manche Hike

Day 4 - Cape Spear, Petty Harbour, Bannerman Park or Aquarena

Leave St. John's for next 8 days

Day 13 - Torbay, Flatrock, Pouch Cove OR Bell Island (suggestions please)

Day 14 - Quidi Village, Fly Home

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
1. Re: St. John's Itinerary

Hi there Fanookin,

My name is Chelsea and I work with the Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism Department.

If I could add one thing, I would suggest to take a walk in the downtown area and visit local shops and the Jelly Bean Row houses on Gower Street (colourful houses). We also have a Railway Coastal Museum that may be of interest.

If you are going to do the Ferryland Lighthouse Picnic, make sure you book it as soon as they start taking reservations! They do book up very quickly! You could also take a boat tour in Bay Bulls or Witless Bay to see the puffins and whales!

If is a nice day out, I would definitely recommend Bannerman Park over the aquarena so you will be enjoying the weather!

When you do Quidi Vidi Village, you can also take a walk around Quidi Vidi Lake (total of 3.7km around) and it has a playground on one side of the lake!

I hope this helps :)

Regards,

Chelsea

Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
84 reviews
2. Re: St. John's Itinerary

Torbay and Flatrock is just a short drive from St. Johns, and mostly a scenic drive except for a stop to see the Grotto in Flatrock. It can be done in a couple of hours. It you travel out that way, I love to do a quick side trip to Bauline (access from Torbay) as its a small community amazingly nestled right on the cliffs. However, a choice between those and Bell Island, I'd see Bell Island for the mine tour.

And on day 4, I would do Bowring Park as opposed to Bannerman. Much larger and more to see. Easy to get to either after visiting Petty Harbour, or from downtown St. John's. Aquarena is great to spend a rainy afternoon or evening though!!

Edited: 14 May 2016, 23:24
Guelph
Level Contributor
65 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: St. John's Itinerary

Thanks for the suggestions! We are actually staying down the street from Bannerman Park but are thinking now we should also try and squeeze in Bowring Park! We are leaning towards Bell Island as well but would really like to see the Grotto. I guess we'll wait and see what we feel like that day! Thanks again for all your help!

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: St. John's Itinerary

We just saw the Grotto today, we went to see friends in Flatrock. There was an Iceberg off the coast visible from several communities in the area. A visit to the Grotto and Flatrock would only take an hour or two one evening (maybe day 2??), its a lovely drive on a nice evening.

St. John's and surrounds is really a pretty small area. It will not take you long to drive to most places on your list of must sees. The longest time will be if you decide on Bell Island. Sometimes the wait for the ferry can be long with line-ups, especially if one ferry is down due to mechanical issues. About 20 minute drive to the ferry terminal.

…gov.nl.ca/ferryservices/schedules/pdf/bell_…

Edited: 16 May 2016, 00:22
5. Re: St. John's Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2017, 09:47