We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip through St. John

Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip through St. John

My family and I are taking a road trip from Quebec City to St. John to Halifax. I would love some guidance if anyone has any suggestions for places to stop in between each of these cities, or just suggestions for St. John in general. We’re pretty adventurous, so anything will do. Would also love some recommendations for types of food or restaurants to try in the area. Thanks for the help!

5 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,666 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip through St. John

hi Lauren T

You will find that David M has a good list on this post

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154956…

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip through St. John

Hi Lauren!

I'm highly pleased and flattered that my Penticton friend cited my articles as go-to material on your trip from Quebec to St. John NB.

Now I guess I'm going to have to come up with still more!

There's another way from Quebec to St. John NB, going through the state of Maine. It's highly scenic and, while not faster in terms of time, it's slightly shorter in distance.

You start south from the St. Lawrence River bridges of Quebec on Route 73. St. Georges, Quebec, is the main town in the Beauce region, off the beaten track for most travelers. St. Georges has motels and restaurants, of course, and an appealing walking trail over blue-light illuminated bridges and an island in the Chaudiere River.

Across the border (passports please!) in Maine, US-201 follows a chain of lakes and the upper Kennebec River on a highly scenic highway past tourist lodges and aquatic activities.

Bangor, ME is the halfway point. It's an unremarkable city, except for its shopping, but it has the largest selection of restaurants and moderately-priced motels. (Moderately priced in US dollars, that is. After figuring the exchange and higher Canadian taxes, real prices are comparable on both sides of the border.) You could walk along the Penobscot River at Bangor, or hike the trail along Kenduskeag Stream. Most visitors, especially Canadians, shop.

From Bangor to the Canadian border at Calais ME, Route 9 offers another rustic, highly scenic highway. You'll see hills, rivers, blueberry fields, and here and there a diner. Be sure to fill your fuel tank in Calais. Gas in Maine is 3/4 the price in Canada, even with their higher dollar.

If you're overnighting between Calais and St. John, here are three ideas:

- In Calais, the International Motel has rooms looking out on the St. Croix River. If you call, specify that you want one of the newer, riverfront rooms.

- St. Andrews NB is about 15 km off the Route 1 freeway. It's a quaint resort village with a number of hotels and restaurants. The pricy Algonquin Hotel dominates the little town, but we like the Seaside Beach Resort, located on Passamaquoddy Bay itself. It's not really a resort, but a collection of older buildings, renovated into hotel rooms. All the rooms are different. Two are right at the waterside and, if you are lucky or book early enough, you might catch one. Otherwise, we enjoyed the quaintness of the property and the uniqueness of the rooms.

- A half-hour west of St. John, two motels are located right on the open Bay of Fundy, with oceanfront rooms. Most accommodations places in the Fundy region of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia don't sit directly on the open Bay, but these do. Our fave is the Clipper Shipp, which has an ocean-facing balcony for each room and a gas barbecue on each balcony. (No grocery stores in the village, so bring provisions if you plan on a barbecue. There's also a nearby restaurant if you don't.)

Happy travels!

David

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,666 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip through St. John

@David

so i guess I now have to bookmark this one too (-:

Have a good day

Canada
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip through St. John

Do note that the city is spelled Saint John. Not St.

Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip through St. John

Thank you so much, their info is extremely helpful!

Reply to: Road trip through St. John
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted