We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth it to go up the mountain if you're not a skier?

Ontario
Level Contributor
423 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth it to go up the mountain if you're not a skier?

We'll be in Whistler on May 3 while Peak to Peak is closed. The chairlift route is $30 apiece for the 4 of us, which is a pretty hefty price. We aren't skiers and I'm hoping someone who's been there can tell me whether it's worth it to go?

Other than eating an expensive lunch on the mountain, is there anything to walk around and do or see (other than what I know will be an amazing view!)?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,415 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth it to go up the mountain if you're not a skier?

Whistler Village is fun to walk around. And the Squamish Lil'wat Cultural Center is interesting. Guided tours on the hour. Have a look on the following website to see what's available.

I thought there was a chairlift price for non-skiers but you have to show up at the ticket window to buy those tickets. I think that's so skiers don't take advantage of the sightseeing price. They could see immediately that you were not there to ski so would get the lower price. But I don't know where you got that $30 price from so it may already be the sightseeing price.

www.whistlerblackcomb.com

Ontario
Level Contributor
423 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth it to go up the mountain if you're not a skier?

The $30 price is the non-skiers sightseeing price (I got an email back about it). What I'm trying to decide is if going UP the mountain is worth the $120....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,316 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth it to go up the mountain if you're not a skier?

Its only $30? Wow, that's pretty cheap by comparison to a lot of these tourist gondola rides that are going up around the world. That sort of thing these days is running $50 - $80 in some places. For example, the Kuranda Skyrail is $45 one-way. You have to pay another $45 to get down again.....

Banff Gondola is also $30 each. Seems to be about the going rate.

Is it worth it? Is anything, really? Either you want to go or you don't. Its beautiful.

Edited: 21 April 2012, 07:32
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth it to go up the mountain if you're not a skier?

On a sunny day Yes it's worth it but if it's cloudy ......

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,245 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth it to go up the mountain if you're not a skier?

YES!

Big yes! :) But as Sam says, on a sunny day.

If you don't go up to the top of Whistler, you are truly missing out on Whistler's scenery. That kind of rugged, dramatic, spectacular alpine scenery does NOT exist in the village. People who only stick to the village often wonder what all the fuss is about Whistler. Hint: it's at the top of the mountain.

I wrote a blog post about activities to do in Whistler if you don't ski... and I definitely include the gondola/Peak 2 Peak:

604pulse.com/2012/…

Ontario
Level Contributor
423 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth it to go up the mountain if you're not a skier?

Robyn that is an excellent blog you have put together! It's so unfortunate that the Peak 2 Peak and gondola are not operational while we're there. :(

7. Re: Is it worth it to go up the mountain if you're not a skier?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 04:12