We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad is the snow this year and will it last?

UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
How bad is the snow this year and will it last?

I have been reading the first-hand reports from Whistler on skireports.com and there are some really bad comments such as:

"The Snow is melting"

"Not pretty"

"Bring your rock skis"

Is it really that bad, and what do any locals out there think the rest of the season will look like?

I have a trip booked for April 2nd and am seriously thinking of cancelling Whistler and looking elsewhere.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How bad is the snow this year and will it last?

There isn't much for "elsewhere" - everywhere is having the same problem.

Whistler
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How bad is the snow this year and will it last?

It is a terrible season for Whistler - we have a lot less snow than normal.

Still, we have a lot of terrain open, it is just a bit rockier than usual.

I am not using my rock skis anymore, but was up until not long ago.

It is too hard to say what April will be like (up the top of the mountain) - if we get some snow through Feb/March it could be stellar - BUT I do believe the ski out to the village we be closed by then.

Up to you about canceling or not - Whistler can change dramatically within a day or two and March is often a good snow month.

Still, I personally hope everyone cancels, and then it dumps :)

If you want to keep up to date with the current snow conditions, then forget the rest and visit http://whistlerblackcombsnowreport.com/

real conditions updated almost daily

UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How bad is the snow this year and will it last?

I'm not bothered about skiing down to the village, I just want to know if the snow will hold up top?

I'm just going to hang on to as late as possible and keep my fingers crossed that it does dump. The trouble is that the snow is SO GREAT in Europe at the moment I don't want to feel cheated by flying half way round the world to sk on rocks.

I'll just focus on my next trip to Val Thorens in a couple of weeks and worry about the Whistler snow nearer the time

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How bad is the snow this year and will it last?

I think we are having the season Europe had a two years ago. We have not had the rain or storms we need. I am praying for more snow...the season could be over by April or early May...

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How bad is the snow this year and will it last?

Hi!

I'm in Whistler and ski 5 days a week since the opening. Yes! It is a bad season for Whistler, but the season we have now can be considered as a good season in other resort. You still can find good snow if you know where to go and not following the crowd. And it is true that the weather can change from now to April , the snow condition can change pretty quickly here!

Notts UK
Level Contributor
532 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How bad is the snow this year and will it last?

Hey Billy

I got back form Whistler a week ago. The snow wasn't the best but not that bad either! And it's been snowing quite a bit over the last week so conditions are bound to be better now.

I went to Verbier at Christmas, not long after the epic pre-christmas snow falls that most of Europe enjoyed. I can honestly say the snow there wasn't that much better than the snow in Whistler when I was there (20 Jan-31 Jan).

This is a bad snow year for Whistler compared to the usual big dumps they get but if you were in Europe you would be very happy with the conditions. I've certainly skied alot worse.

UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How bad is the snow this year and will it last?

Belnyx,

Thanks for that very useful.

I skied in Beaver Creek 2 years ago in early April, all the locals were moaning about how terrible it was but I thought it was great compared to Europe. I suppose it's just that they are used to near-perfect conditions all the time.

Any feedback from other non-locals?

8. Re: How bad is the snow this year and will it last?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 03:46
Get answers to your questions about Whistler