We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avalanche Deaths in Whistler

Whistler
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Topic
Avalanche Deaths in Whistler

There was some avalanches in Whistler over the New Year period, 2 people died.

Report here

whistlerblackcombsnowreport.com/avalanche-de…

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avalanche Deaths in Whistler

Note that both riders were out of bounds. It's tragic, however people must pay attention to the signs which are there for good reason.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Avalanche Deaths in Whistler

ditto

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,502 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avalanche Deaths in Whistler

Skiiers: INBOUNDS = PATROLS

If you are caught in an avalanche, you want to be found...FAST. Please, please, for your own safety, stay within bounds, where there are active patrols who are ready with first aid, radios, etc. Don't risk your life for a bit of adrenaline.

toronto
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Avalanche Deaths in Whistler

i find it difficult to muster up sympathy for these guys. There were numerous warnings about the conditions and I am sure many closed sign.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,416 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avalanche Deaths in Whistler

These guys may not be deserving of much sympathy, but the family and friends they left behind are surely needing it.

Edmonton
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Avalanche Deaths in Whistler

You can not muster up sympathy!! I will assume then that you have made perfect choices throughout your life...you have never gone outside the lines of any law..or went against anything you may have be advised!! I hear stories regularly of people that are boarding in closed areas, the fear factor evoporated some time ago. He didn't go in there knowing he was flipping a coin between life or death..this I am sure of. I know the 26 year old personally.

Good god, have some compassion.. this was a good man that lost his life because of a bad decision. Let's hope charma doesn't find it's way back to you and take your life in a split second because of poor judgement. Im sure family and friends would hate to have to read a comment posted of what an idiot you were by some random!

Laurie

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avalanche Deaths in Whistler

Have I gone OB? Yes. Have I crawled up a cliffside to access fresh powder? Yes. Silly, stupid? In hindsight yes but at the time no.

All I wish is that people (incl. me) took into consideration exactly what they are putting up when they go OB. It isn't worth the risk, especially if you do not have avi equipment and/or have taken an avalanche course.

Anytime you access the mountains, you take a risk. I am sorry to hear about these recent deaths, it has been a bad year at WB.

Whistler
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Avalanche Deaths in Whistler

I too go out of bounds regularly. I know I may end up injured or worse by doing so.

I duck ropes every day.

I tour into the back country a number or times each season.

I live in Whistler, so therefore I know the terrain I will encounter when I do duck ropes (I would not duck ropes if I did not know what I was getting into)

However, I do not go into avalanche prone terrain, when the risk of avalanches is HIGH (or even considerable).

I especially do not go without wearing a transceiver, and having a shovel/probe/emergency provisions.

and

I NEVER travel alone

9. Re: Avalanche Deaths in Whistler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

Tragic circumstances occur in every city of the world, including crimes that involve both tourists and locals. We close or remove topics that include graphic descriptions of violent crimes or accidental death and injury; the subject matter does not conform to our rules regarding family-friendly topics and our requirement that forum threads be travel-related discussions.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2009, 16:40