We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch and schedule for day in Victoria July 10

Baltimore...
Level Contributor
180 posts
20 reviews
Lunch and schedule for day in Victoria July 10

We are in Victoria on cruise ship for long day in July. Our first stop will be Butchart Gardens - we are 4 people and will take cab there. I am planning to get there around 9:30-1000. How long should we expect to stay? Are the restaurants worth eating lunch at or should we plan on going back to Victoria for lunch? If that is case, are there some recommendations for lunch in town at a restaurant perhaps on the water that is good?

Lastly , any suggestions for what we should do the remainder of the afternoon in Victoria that would last no more than 2-3 hours?

4 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
6,434 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Lunch and schedule for day in Victoria July 10

At least two hours. The restaurants are very much worth eating at, they have everything from the more formal dining room, to the coffee shop. The formal restaurant serves a lovely afternoon if you're interested but you will need to make reservations.

Lots of brew pubs in downtown area. You can easily spend the afternoon wandering around downtown - check out Fishermans wharf, slip into the Empress for a drink, walk through Beacon Hill Park.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 03:20
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
6,434 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Lunch and schedule for day in Victoria July 10

Forgot to mention the BC Museum across from the Empress, worth a couple of hours.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
33,086 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: Lunch and schedule for day in Victoria July 10

I've never eaten at Butchart but I've seen it recommended. I believe it is quite nice. There is a restaurant near by that I like, but not if you are in a taxi. The gardens are huge and if you like gardens, I would expect to be there for at least 3 hours.

Central Victoria is quite lovely and enjoyable to just walk around on a nice day. If the weather is lousy, definitely head to the Royal BC Museum. Its a wonderful, experiential, walk through museum that gives you such a great overview of British Columbia. Don't bother with the IMAX movie. I find it takes a good 3 hours to get through the RBCM each and every time we go. Its that good.

Otherwise, if you prefer to stay outside, I would wander through the residential streets up to Fishermans Wharf, then hop on the harbour ferry for the trip back. You could go into the Empress for a fancy and expensive High Tea, or wander into the heart of downtown for some shopping and people watching. The area around Fort and Blanchard has some good basic restaurants with some funky character but my favourite waterfront dining is actually over on the other side in Oak Bay.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Lunch and schedule for day in Victoria July 10

I would budget at least 2 hours to walk through Butchart Gardens, not including time for lunch, although you could easily spend longer than that, too. I've never eaten at the gardens, so can't comment.

The Butterfly Gardens are pretty close to Butchart Gardens, so that could be one way to eat up more time before you even head back into town. It's a small indoor garden, very tropical, with parrots, flamingos, and, of course, lots and lots of free-flying butterflies.

Some other ideas to consider for downtown:

-Royal BC Museum: lots of great permanent exhibits, plus they also have an Egyptian exhibit on right now until the end of Dec 2018.

-Beacon Hill Park: after Butchart Gardens, you may not feel like more garden time, but it's only a couple of blocks from the Inner Harbour, it's free, and there are lots of peacocks wandering around freely.

-Walk the seaside path and breakwater out to the lighthouse along Dallas Road (right by the cruise terminal)

-Check out the floating houses and resident seals at Fisherman's Wharf

-Visit Chinatown and Fan Tan Alley

-Go shopping

-Rent kayaks, canoes, or paddleboards and explore the inner harbour and gorge. You can find rentals right on the water (ex: Ocean River Sports, Victoria Kayak)

Reply to: Lunch and schedule for day in Victoria July 10
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Victoria
Recent Conversations