We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver Island to Whistler

Ireland
11 posts
Save Topic
Vancouver Island to Whistler

My fiance and I will be travelling to Vancouver and Vancouver Island on the first leg of our honeymoon in August. We are planning to spend the first 4 days in Vancouver, the next 2 days in Vancouver Island and then travel to Long Beach/Ucelet for another 2 days. The plan after that is Whistler for 1 night.

Does this plan make sense? How would we get from Long Beach to Whistler? We will be renting a car from day 4 of the trip. Thanks!

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver Island to Whistler

It depends, of course, how much driving you are comfortable doing during your vacation time. Myself, I have a bias for less driving/ more lounging around.

You could visit the destinations listed during those times, but it would be tight, especially considering ferry travel during the peak season (BC Ferries can get frenetic during summer weekends). Could you fit in a couple more days? An extra day each at Long Beach and Whistler would be less hurried. Or, you could trim off one of your destinations. Make a round trip from Vancouver-Victoria-Long Beach- back to Vancouver, with five days on the island, and four in Vancouver. Or as another alternative, go from Vancouver directly to Long Beach via Naniamo, and then back to Whistler for a couple of days taking the Naniamo-Horseshoe Bay ferry route.

It’s about a three hour drive across the island from Long Beach to the Naniamo ferry. From the Horseshoe Bay terminal it’s about one and a half to two hours to Whistler on the Sea to Sky highway. This road has recently been upgraded in preparation for the 2010 Olympics. The drive is quite scenic, and there are viewpoints along the way. The ferry trip is about an hour and a half, and you can also often get stuck with a wait during the summer (check the BC Ferry website for reservation info).

calgary
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver Island to Whistler

Personally I would drop Whistler and just relax and enjoy another night at Long Beach/Uculet.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver Island to Whistler

You best bet to do all of these places would be to go to whistler prior to heading over to the island. It is about 2hrs to Whistler from Vancouver and then you could head to the Horseshoe Bay ferry to get to the island on the way back (1.5hrs? from Whistler). This would help minimize the driving per day.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver Island to Whistler

Perhaps a better sense of your travel times will help you decide:

Vancouver to Victoria is about 4 hrs including waiting time at the ferry terminal and your ferry crossing.

Driving Victoria to Tofino is about 6 hrs.

Driving Tofino back to Nanaimo is about 3 hrs, then 2 hrs to catch the ferry and cross. Horseshoe Bay is about 30 minutes out of Vancouver, and about 1.5 hrs from Whistler.

Whistler back to Vancouver is about 2 hrs of travel time.

You can also do Whistler as a day trip from Vancouver.

I'm guessing you've already booked your flights? I'm thinking about options like flying in to Victoria to start, rather than Vancouver, and ending in Vancouver. As Whistler and Vancouver are so close together, it makes sense to keep those two as a "package".

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver Island to Whistler

I'm not sure where on Vancouver Island you intend to be when you say that after Vancouver you will spend the "next 2 days in Vancouver Island" and then travel to Long Beach/Ucluelet.

My recommendation, with such little time, would be to go to Whistler for the 1 night after Vancouver, then head to Horseshoe Bay as mentioned and take the ferry to Nanaimo then drive to Tofino or Ucluelet - whichever you decide. Stay 3 nights there then drive to Victoria for 1 night and then take the Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen ferry back to Vancouver.

6. Re: Vancouver Island to Whistler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2009, 12:54