We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle, Victoria, Friday Harbour, Orcas, Seattle

grapevine tx
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Seattle, Victoria, Friday Harbour, Orcas, Seattle

Wife and I are thinking of a trip to the great PNW. We get into Seattle on Sept. 5 and need to be back in Seattle for a early flight out on Sept. 11. I am looking for guidance on things to do and if my plan holds water. I've read a number of post that have been helpful. So here is my plan:

Seattle on the 5th - might go to wine country St. Michelle and Columbia. Staying with friends.

Depart Seattle on Ferry to Vancouver Island - thinking of staying at Inn at Laurel Point - spend time downtown...seems lots to do. Or could stay at Fairmont Empress or Magnolia...don't need things to do at the hotel we like to get out.

Next day go to Sydney, don't know where to stay yet. plan to do Butchart gardens then take the ferry Friday Harbor...spend a night there, don't know where yet recommendations are welcome.

Then Friday Harbor to Orcas, no plans there yet.

So is this feasible. I can't find a way to get back to Seattle. Maybe too much in my plans. The only way back to Seattle by ferry was to back track to Sydney then Victoria.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Love interesting places to eat/drink and paces to see.

If you can help...thank you. If you have questions ask.

5 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,566 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Seattle, Victoria, Friday Harbour, Orcas, Seattle

hi

the Clipper goes to the San Juan Islands https:/… so maybe reverse the trip if the schedule can work better.

in Sidney it really depends on your budget and whether you want a brand like BW or not. If you can afford the Empress then I suspect that the Sidney Waterfront Inn should fit in the same price range.

the Victoria downtown is also called Inner Harbour; any of the hotels you picked will work for walking to attractions.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Seattle, Victoria, Friday Harbour, Orcas, Seattle

Ferry does Orcas to Anacortes.

Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
609 reviews
3. Re: Seattle, Victoria, Friday Harbour, Orcas, Seattle

Will this be on foot or by car? I'm guessing on foot.

A few notes. IIRC, there's not much by the Orcas Island ferry terminal so you're stranded in the middle of nowhere w/o a ride.

And yes, not too many easy ways to get from Anacortes terminal to Seattle. I'm sure there may be but it won't be easy or convenient. Probably bus to Mount Vernon and Amtrak/Amtrak bus from there.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 06:23
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,542 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: Seattle, Victoria, Friday Harbour, Orcas, Seattle

Your San Juan Island questions are in WA, so you might want to ask them in the WA State Forum

To get around the Island, check out the Sidney > Anacortes schedule page as well as the Anacortes > San Juan Islands schedule page.

The 8h50 am Orcas departure arrives Anacortes at 9h55 am.

12h05 pm > 1h10 pm.

2h20 pm > 3h10 pm.

5h15 pm > 6h20 pm

two more late evening runs.

grapevine tx
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Seattle, Victoria, Friday Harbour, Orcas, Seattle

thank you. This was helpful.

Reply to: Seattle, Victoria, Friday Harbour, Orcas, Seattle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted