We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bright Nights Train Query

India
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
Bright Nights Train Query

Hi everybody. I am a solo traveller and would be in Vancouver after a couple of weeks. I'll be visiting Stanley Park and the Bright Nights Train Plaza where I would like to snap some pics of the decorations. But I don't know the exact time I would be there and hence am unable to book the train tickets in advance. If I skip the train, would I be able to walk around and see the same sights on foot? Would I be allowed to use a camera tripod? Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,042 posts
66 reviews
1. Re: Bright Nights Train Query

You need to go into the paid admission area to see the decorations. There would be no attraction possible if people could enjoy the decorations without paying.

India
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Bright Nights Train Query

Thanks MuftiVancouver. The intent was not to avoid any admission fee. I just didn't have any concrete time for a booking slot. Also I understood by the official site that I didn't need to book the train to enjoy the attractions but would require to donate to enter the train plaza. Let me reframe the question now. Can I roam around the train plaza and still see most of the things which one can see on the train? If I reserve a time slot and am not able to get there within time, would I be allowed to board a later train? And is tripod use permissible?

Edited: 27 November 2014, 07:27
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,042 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: Bright Nights Train Query

vancouver.ca/files/cov/Stanley-Park-Map-Guid…

On the above map, find #4, either in the big map or in insert A. You will be able to go by donation to the Plaza at #4. You can see where the train goes which will hold most of the Christma show, requires taking the train because the show will not be accessible without doing that. There is a trail around as represented by the white dotted line. IIRC it is closed to walkers during Bright Nights but could be wrong this year. Using a tripod is not an issue.

There will be a lot of people there so the chances of boarding a later train are very slim. Buying a ticket for a set time range (isn't it a 15 or 30 minute allowance?) is the way to go. People with purchased tickets from Ticketmaster go right to the train boarding line. People wanting to buy tickets go to another line hoping there will be room on a train for them. You might be luckier if it's raining.

India
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Bright Nights Train Query

Thanks a lot. That clears up a lot.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Bright Nights Train Query

You only have to pay to board the train. You can walk around the gorgeous area outside the train for free or by donation to the fire department standing at the entrance. We've been to a private function already this year and the lights are very nice this year. We have been going every year for about 9 years and we always buy tickets when we get there. Totally worth going.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Bright Nights Train Query

You only have to pay for the train. There are firefighters at the entrance collecting donations to see the lights. They do sell some train tickets the day of so you might be able to get some depending on how busy it is. If possible, try to avoid a weekend and get there as early as possible so that you can get better shots with less crowds. Enjoy, it is one of my favorite things. Another amazing place to view lights (I actually prefer it to Stanley Park) is the VanDusen Botanical Garden festival of lights.

7. Re: Bright Nights Train Query

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2015, 10:46