We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to walk alone in Downtown Vancouver at night?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe to walk alone in Downtown Vancouver at night?

Hey everyone. I'd hate to sound like a scared-y cat. And I don't mean to offend any Vancouver residents here. But I felt the need to ask this question after doing some further research on the Vancouver area.

I've been to the city of Vancouver before. But I've never been on the streets of the downtown area alone at night.

This October I'm attending at concert at Rogers Arena. And I'm staying at hotel on the corner of Howe St and Drake St just north of the Yaletown neighborhood. It's an approximately 22-minute walk from Rogers Arena.

After the concert, would it be safe for me to walk alone along Pacific Blvd and through Yaletown in order to return to my hotel?

According to Wikipedia, there has been a rise in gang-related activity in Vancouver in recent years. So I have some concerns.

Do you guys think I'm being overly precautious?

Thanks everyone.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to walk alone in Downtown Vancouver at night?

You'll be fine.

Don't let that gang activiity scare you. The increase of gang violence happened a few years ago and it wasn't just Vancouver but also the suburbs... and it was gang members after other gang members. The reality is violence is incredibly rare in Vancouver, especially random acts of violence. It would honestly be the least of my concerns.

Yaletown is sort of like Manhattan - upscale, full of locals walking their dogs, yummy mommies pushing babies in oversized strollers, people in yoga gear, people out grocery shopping, going out to restaurants, to the gym, etc - even at night. As a former Yaletown resident who works there and frequently walks alone downtown at night -you'll be completely safe wherever you walk from Roger's Arena to your hotel.

Edited: 26 August 2011, 22:12
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to walk alone in Downtown Vancouver at night?

I would walk that route at night alone. I live here and I'm very comfortable in Vancouver at night-I'm a woman. I wouldn't walk downtown anywhere at 3 in the morning nor would I walk through a certain neighbourhood at night alone but your route will have lots of people.

Always exercise common sense in any big city.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to walk alone in Downtown Vancouver at night?

... actually, my only concern for your walk is - keep your eyes out for dog poo on the sidewalk. Seriously. ;)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to walk alone in Downtown Vancouver at night?

And you'd be fine even if you walked alone at 3am. There aren't as many people out on the streets then, so it might feel uncomfortable, but nobody's out there to get you at 3am. Downtown Vancouver is hugely residential - it doesn't vacate at night.

Edited: 26 August 2011, 22:15
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,138 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to walk alone in Downtown Vancouver at night?

You will have so much "company" with others from the concert walking part or all of the same streets with you.

The gates (entrances/exits) for Rogers Arena are a bit unique. A couple of the gates exit onto one of two viaducts which are about 80 feet above street level. So depending on where your tix are, here are a few pointers.

Gate 2 - Dunsmuir Viaduct

Gate 3 - stairs to Explo Blvd

Gate 7 - stairs to Pacific Blvd

Gate 8 - Georgia Viaduct

I would suggest that you consider exiting onto the Georgia Viaduct or the Dunsmuir Viaduct, if those exits are anywhere near your seating section. Then walk down to Homer and along Homer which would be more interesting IMO than walking along Pacific Blvd. Homer is a real neighbourhood, not a typical downtown street.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to walk alone in Downtown Vancouver at night?

We have our crime but nothing on the scale NYC

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to walk alone in Downtown Vancouver at night?

Thanks guys. I'm actually staying at the Quality Hotel on the corner of Howe St and Drake St. It's the only "affordable" hotel that I could find in Downtown Vancouver.

All the hotels near Rogers Arena and the BC Place Stadium are so incredibly expensive. You wouldn't believe what the Hampton Inn is charging for only two nights.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,138 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to walk alone in Downtown Vancouver at night?

Why don't you have a look at the YWCA Hotel which is 5 minutes walk from Rogers Arena at 733 Beatty at Georgia. It's not a hostel, got a great rep and is in a good area. An assortment of room/bathroom choices. October will not be too busy. Reviews are available on TA here.

www.ywcahotel.com

http://tinyurl.com/3whcd7f

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to walk alone in Downtown Vancouver at night?

@MuftiMixandmatch

I actually stayed at the YWCA when I last visited Vancouver. I didn't like it too much. It felt too much like a hostel.

I had a single room. But I had to share a bathroom with the guests next door.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,138 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to walk alone in Downtown Vancouver at night?

Hi Jericho ~ I wonder if you know that some rooms come with private bathroom? You absolutely don't have to share a bathroom, or go down the hall to the communal bathroom! I would suggest if you had to take a shared bath room last time, it was because there were no private bath rooms available, so they didn't show up on the availability page. Here's a copy and paste from one of their room descriptions for later in October: Available now.

==================

<< Room Type Double with Private Shower - One double bed, TV. Private shower. Regular Rate 86.00 CAD Daily

Senior Rate - For guests 60 years of age and better 78.00 CAD Daily

Student - Please present Valid picture Identification from an accredited post-secondary school at check-in 78.00 CAD Daily >>

==================

You just need to go through the motions of reserving a room and when the page for availability comes up, just read all the blue print "room type" descriptions. It really is an awkwardly laid out page to view, so squint up the eyes. But maybe I am misunderstanding. Maybe you just didn't like the feel of the whole place.

And ... you could then walk north a block and a half to the Medina Cafe and have the best breakfast paella in the city. Or something equally as good. http://www.medinacafe.com/home/