We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Granville Island vs. More Suburban Location

New York
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Granville Island vs. More Suburban Location

First trip to Vancouver. Found a great B&B that's 15 minutes on the Skytrain to downtown (V5N) but am concerned I might be too far away. Other option is the Granville Island Hotel. (Sounds like staying in Queens vs. the Upper East Side in NYC). We'll want to do galleries, lots of walking around, some biking in Stanley Park, kayaking in False Creek, and hopefully theater one night during our 3-day stay. Advice, please.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
33,549 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Granville Island vs. More Suburban Location

Sky Train is very convenient, but really, when you are visiting Vancouver, you need to be in the city. I'd look at accommodations within the main city core that put you within walking distance to most of the things you want to explore.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,961 posts
1 review
2. Re: Granville Island vs. More Suburban Location

Bike rentals a 10 minute walk from the GI hotel.

http://www.reckless.ca/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
88 reviews
3. Re: Granville Island vs. More Suburban Location

I agree stay in the city, especially for your first trip. No worries about catching the last train etc. Suburbs tend to be too much alike.

Edited: 12 April 2011, 05:39
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,511 posts
503 reviews
4. Re: Granville Island vs. More Suburban Location

Agree with the above. I'll be staying at the Granville Island Hotel this summer ONLY because we are going to an event there. Otherwise we would stay downtown which is more centrally located to everything you will want to see. Stay downtown!

New York
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Granville Island vs. More Suburban Location

OJ, concensus seems to be downtown. Any suggestions for a moderate hotel? We like old-fashioned, not new and glitzy.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,511 posts
503 reviews
6. Re: Granville Island vs. More Suburban Location

Try the Sylvia Hotel. At the edge of perhaps would be called downtown but across from English Bay, close to Stanley Park and just off Denman Street (great selection of restaurants).

http://www.sylviahotel.com/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154943-d182544…

Vancouver
Level Contributor
23 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Granville Island vs. More Suburban Location

What neighborhood is the b&b in? Love downtown Vancouver but there are great neighborhoods too. You could have the best of all worlds.0 Wouldn't stay out of Vancouver proper though.

Vancouver, Canada
14 posts
8. Re: Granville Island vs. More Suburban Location

Granville island is nice, cross a bridge (granville bridge) and you will be in downtown. Or you can walk to 4th Avenue for some shopping /dinning. I woudn't stay in suburban unless I plan to rent a car.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
69,058 posts
66 reviews
9. Re: Granville Island vs. More Suburban Location

You might check out the Blue Horizon on Robson Street as well. Very good location for the activities you have outlined.

The V5N postal code is Commercial Drive/Trout Lake/ Cedar Cottage area. All older houses, but I remember checking out one of them for a poster and it was quite nice, updated and upgraded in a quiet area. However, the nearest skytrain for downtown would be at Broadway and Commercial. If the B&B was further north toward Hastings, you would have to take a bus into town.

Stay downtown.

GI would be more like staying on Randalls Island and wanting to spend your time in the Theater District.

Tip: we call all art galleries galleries, the retail stores where you can purchase and the curated ones where you look but don't touch, what I think Americans call Art Museums.

10. Re: Granville Island vs. More Suburban Location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 19:49