We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Vancouver Over Victoria Day Weekend --Dumb Idea?

New York
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Visiting Vancouver Over Victoria Day Weekend --Dumb Idea?

Planning to be in Vancouver May 21-24, As an American, don't know if this is a bad weekend to come. Are things (museums, galleries, theatre) closed? Also, will in be time-consuming to cross over the border? We are driving from Anacortes, where we will have arrived from the San Juan Islands. Or perhaps we will come from Victoria. Thanks.

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Visiting Vancouver Over Victoria Day Weekend --Dumb Idea?

Everything will be open, just Sunday (holiday) hours. Since it is a Canadian only holiday I would think that you will be going against the traffic flow at the border. The BC Ferries will be busy and I would suggest a reservation.

New York
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Visiting Vancouver Over Victoria Day Weekend --Dumb Idea?

Thanks. Another dumb question. Are there many different ferries?

We need to go from Anacortes to Orcas r/t with a car.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
84 reviews
3. Re: Visiting Vancouver Over Victoria Day Weekend --Dumb Idea?

Victoria day in Vancouver is rather low key. It really now just marks the beginning of the summer mindset. A lot of people go out of town for the weekend and those of us who stay hope for warm enough weather to go to the beach. Weather could be chilly or warm, wet or dry. Victoria on Vancouver Island does have a parade harbourliving.ca/event/…

I have never seen it so can't comment on whether it's worth seeing. I'm guessing it's quaint and fun for little kids.

Your ferry question should be posted in the Washington State Forum since your route is within the U.S. and is covered by Wasington State Ferries.

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Visiting Vancouver Over Victoria Day Weekend --Dumb Idea?

The Victoria Day Parade has been running for 113 years, has around 150 entries and lasts approximately 3 and a half hours. Quaint isn't quite the right word. It is fun for little kids and hell for anyone travelling down town but it's a huge tradition in the city named after the Queen for which the holiday is for.

There is the website for the Washington State Ferries for the route you will need:

…wa.gov/ferries/…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: Visiting Vancouver Over Victoria Day Weekend --Dumb Idea?

@Breezed. Quaint does not mean small, although many people think it does. I meant quaint in the sense that it is an old fashioned style family type of event since Victoria has to a degree a quaintness about it.

Edited: 09 April 2011, 02:49
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,627 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: Visiting Vancouver Over Victoria Day Weekend --Dumb Idea?

Hi jamison ~ the good news is you seem to be travelling on Saturday and Tuesday, not the long weekend really. Our dollar is very favourable right now to the US$ so Cdns will be surging south to shop in Blaine and Seattle. Many people open their cottages on this weekend. It's a busy weekend because it's the first one since Christmas and the weather is warm enough to get some fresh air.

You have a couple of choices.

Probably the best border crossing in terms of less traffic would be: From Anacortes to Vancouver via I5, take exit 275 just before the border onto 543, to the Pacific Hwy Border Crossing, continue on 176th St (Pacific Highway) north about 20 km to Hwy 1. Enter Hwy 1 (along with everyone else!) and drive west into Vancouver.

The second choice would be to take the WA State ferry over to Sidney on Vancouver Island, 2.5 hours journey and then take BC Ferries from Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen and into Vancouver from there, 1.5 hour journey. BC Ferries will be extremely busy. I see today that reservations for a space are available on every sailing, but people will soon be starting to book their choice, so keep an eye on the ressies availability if you decide to use BC Ferries. Without a ressie, it's very likely a 2-3 sailing wait on the Friday/Monday sailings and Tuesday morning.

This seems like a bit of overkill to me for folks who are coming to Vancouver. You could be in Vancouver by land in the same time. More expensive too.

wsdot.wa.gov/ferries

www.bcferries.com

Edited: 09 April 2011, 05:41
7. Re: Visiting Vancouver Over Victoria Day Weekend --Dumb Idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 09:47