We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skype in YVR

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
315 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Skype in YVR

My Dh and I are staying at the Sheraton Wall Ctr. We found last time we were charged $1.00 every time we used a line to phone out of the hotel, so we ended up spending a FORTUNE over 4 days using our LD card to talk to our kids. We're hoping this time to buy minutes and use skype, as we'll have internet and the laptop.

Has anyone used it - is it reliable in the downtown area?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,696 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skype in YVR

Skype uses internet connection. So your question becomes "Is internet connection reliable in the downtown area?" Which is not unlike "Is internet connection reliable in downtown Saskatoon or Regina?"

If it's specific to a hotel, then there is no reason to suspect the connection at the Wall Centre would be anything but good, if not pricey.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
315 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skype in YVR

Thanks! I talked the manager into giving us free internet, so the pricey is off the table. ;)

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
315 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skype in YVR

I guess I'm trying to find out if Skype is appropriate for a hotel stay. Is it louder or I guess I should say less private than a phone call? Is the software reliable/clear? Have never used it and don't want to pay the $ if it's not worth it quality-wise.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skype in YVR

My friends have been in Arizona all winter and used Skype to call me either on my regular phone or on the internet (I have Skype as well) and it's like being on speaker phone. We found if they left a message on the answering machine that it was quite garbled, but a regular conversation was fine. How loud it will be on your laptop will depend on how loud you have your speaker turned up.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,696 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skype in YVR

Skype program is free. You pay only for the LD talk time, same way you pay for a LD call made through any other means. They offer free trial time.

Quality depends on your PC equipment, whether you use quality headset/microphone or lousy built-in features on the laptop, and the internet connection. Quality is never as good as good quality land-line LD, but you get what you pay for.

Use a cellphone with a calling card. Ask for free local calls at the hotel. Or use the payphone.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
485 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skype in YVR

If you're using a laptop, try attaching earphones.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skype in YVR

The internet at the wall centre is good. I have used it, also skype works well but you could use msn messenger which is free (if the other side has internet that is).

8. Re: Skype in YVR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2010, 12:48