We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to get around

staten island n.y.
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best way to get around

I and my husband will be in arriving July 10 . We are leaving on a cruise July 14. What is the best way to get around town. bus? Are their any tours we should take? How about getting to Granville Island what ia the best way and what time of the day ois the best to go? Also what about going to Victoria forthe day is is worth while? I know I am asking a lot but need some help Thanks

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to get around

>>>>>>What is the best way to get around town.<<<<<<

Vancouver is a very walkable city. Also, for the centrally located attractions that most visitors want to see, the city's public transportation system works well.

See the TripAdvisor page entitled Inside Vancouver : Public Transportation:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154943-s303/Vancouve…

In addition to public transportation, there also are a number of hop-on / hop-off buses that are aimed at the tourist market. They are more expensive than public transportation, but they are convenient in the sense that they follow a circuit from one popular attraction to the next. If you do the full circuit, you can be sure you've seen most attractions that the average first time visitor would want to see.

>>>>>>Are their any tours we should take?<<<<<<

No, I don't think there are any tours that you SHOULD take. However, if you WANT to take a day tour, I have seen favourable comments about Landsea Tours:

http://www.vancouvertours.com/

>>>>>>How about getting to Granville Island what ia the best way<<<<<<

Granville Island is one of the stops on the circuits of the hop-on / hop-off buses.

If you're walking and using public transportation, you may want to cross the narrow channel called False Creek by riding one of the little ferries operated by False Creek Ferries:

http://www.granvilleislandferries.bc.ca/

or by Granville Island Ferries:

www.granvilleislandferries.bc.ca/home.html

>>>>>>and what time of the day ois the best to go?<<<<<<

I don't know. I've always gone there some time between mid morning and mid afternoon, and have enjoyed it. I don't know if there is a better time than that.

One thing I've noticed on the travel discussion forums is that some visitors do not realize how extensive Granville Island is, and they miss the greater part of it. I think it would be a good idea for you to familiarize yourself with what's actually there.

>>>>>>Also what about going to Victoria forthe day is is worth while?<<<<<<

If you go by ferry, it takes about 4 hours to get from downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria. That means that, to get there and back, you spend somewhere in the order of 8 hours. Needless to say, if you're going to see anything of Victoria, you need to make an early start and return late. Even then, you would only be able to pay a relatively superficial visit to Victoria. You would be able to do it greater justice if you went there on an overnight trip.

Another way of doing it, which is quicker but more expensive, is to catch a floatplane. The flight from Vancouver Harbour to Victoria Harbour is something like 35 - 40 minutes. Of course that leaves you with a much bigger chunk of the day to explore Victoria.

Some of the experiences that you could get in Victoria can be duplicated, to some extent, in Vancouver. For example, Victoria is famous for the Butchart Gardens. However, if you were to visit Vancouver's Queen Elizabeth II Park (for FREE) and the modestly priced VanDusen Botanical Garden, the two of them together would come close to giving you what expensive Butchart Gardens can give you.

Likewise, the Royal British Columbia Museum in Victoria is excellent. However, the Museum of Anthropology in Vancouver also is very good.

If I had only 3 days in Vancouver, I am not sure that I would go to Victoria.

But this is a decision you do not have to make now. You could see how your time in Vancouver is going and whether or not you've exhausted what Vancouver has to offer before deciding whether or not to go to Victoria.

If you do decide to go to Victoria, and if you can afford the fare, the floatplane would help you to maximize your time there.

On the Internet I have seen tours that represent a compromise between air and surface travel to and from Victoria. They take you there by floatplane in one direction and bring you back by bus and ferry.

Just one warming about the floatplane. It is not a suitable form of transportation for an overnight stay in Victoria, unless you have a place to leave the bulk of your luggage in Vancouver. The luggage restriction on the floatplane is very tight.

I recommend that you read the TripAdvisor page entitled Inside Vancouver : Suggested Itineraries:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154943-c3336/Vancouv…

2. Re: best way to get around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 22:46