We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoke in Vancouver 8/31-9/5. Airbnb in West Vancouver

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
8 posts
63 reviews
Smoke in Vancouver 8/31-9/5. Airbnb in West Vancouver

I’m sure nobody has a crystal ball but I am concerned about smoke while visiting Vancouver do you think I have to wait till a few days in front of our dates before we will really know how bad it could be? I am a first time visitor to this area and I really want to be able to see all the beautiful scenery and not be exposed to unhealthy air at the same time thank you so much

4 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Smoke in Vancouver 8/31-9/5. Airbnb in West Vancouver

I think so, you can’t really predict. I am in Vancouver today (whistler right now) and unfortunately the sky remains quite “Smokey”. Wasn’t able to appreciate good views while at Whistler. I was in Edmonton yesterday and smoke was even affecting there.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
85 reviews
2. Re: Smoke in Vancouver 8/31-9/5. Airbnb in West Vancouver

I just posted a variation of this on another post....

Okay. Here is my experience the past few days......The sun is an orange ball. The moon last night started out red.The smoke is supposed to get worse in the next few days and, although I hate it, I am not going to be exercising outside those days. I came across on the ferry from Langdale to Horseshoe Bay today and the smoke was very bad-like I've never seen before. I sat there and coughed my head off.

It's a tough call.

If it's easy to reschedule - I would as it is really unpleasant

. . . Late September/ middle September?? It would be so much more pleasant without the smoke. In my opinion, I think it's really bad. I've lived here over 40 years and it's never been like this.

Allonsee
Level Contributor
991 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Smoke in Vancouver 8/31-9/5. Airbnb in West Vancouver

<<I've lived here over 40 years and it's never been like this.>>

Except last suumer, when it was the same.

This is the new normal, folks. A friend said that we have two seasons now: rain, and smoke. He might not be far off.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,639 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: Smoke in Vancouver 8/31-9/5. Airbnb in West Vancouver

You can find the air quality health index here, kept up daily and for several locations in BC.

…gov.bc.ca/epd/…aqhi-table.xml

And here are the locations of the wildfires. If you click on a fire, a pop up will tell you where it is, the status of the fire (lightning or fire of note or ...) and how many hectares are burning, 100 HA = 1 km2.

https:/…

Reply to: Smoke in Vancouver 8/31-9/5. Airbnb in West Vancouver
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted