We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay

Seattle, WA
14 posts
Where to Stay

Traveling to Vancouver with my in-laws in August (in their 60s) and looking for a place to stay. We have been finding some airbnbs online but many of them are near Rogers Arena and Andy Livingstone park. I read somewhere that that area is not the best part of town and its best to stay west of Cambie. Is there any truth to that? Any other places we should avoid?

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,341 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Where to Stay

you first want to know if the Airbnb is legal and licensed by the City as they are cracking down which means you could be locked out when you arrive.

Only units in the City of Vancouver are affected the other surrounding cities are not yet on the same restrictions.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,817 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: Where to Stay

In April I stayed at the Best Western Sands on Davie, steps from English Bay. Nice hotel with renovated rooms (don't be put off by the dated exterior) I was travelling with a young second cousin so got a one-bedroomed suite and she had the sleeper sofa in the full living room, and I had the king-size bed in the separate bedroom. There was a kitchen too.

I would not choose any rental (AirBnB, VRBO etc) because of the issues mentioned in Post 1.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,452 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Where to Stay

I think you can find a better location that east of Roger's arena.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,945 posts
216 reviews
4. Re: Where to Stay

Pick your place. You'll be fine. I can't think of a bad spot that would be advertised on vrbo.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 10:13
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,089 posts
66 reviews
5. Re: Where to Stay

The Airbnb website has space in each listing for licensed BnB in Vancouver to show their licence #.

Both North Vancouver City and District only allow short term rentals in an owner's principal residence.

Seattle, WA
14 posts
6. Re: Where to Stay

Thanks, everyone! If the listing has a license number attached is it safe to book or is there some other way I should verify?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32,736 posts
62 reviews
7. Re: Where to Stay

I think you have to trust the license number. There's only so much you can do. Be aware that if there is a license number, you could be in shared space with the owner. Its unlikely they are giving out licenses for a full condo rental unless the owner is out of town for something. (I have a friend who puts her primary residence up on AirBnB and when she gets a booking, she uses it as an excuse to get away!)

Burnaby is not currently looking at regulating short term rentals, so that's another option.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,089 posts
66 reviews
8. Re: Where to Stay

It is not the city which locks out a guest at a condo rental, it is the owners of the condo building who sometimes watch for owners who are violating condo bylaws. I'm not sure a condo owner with a licence from the city is free and clear of any strata corporation bylaws that ban short term rentals. In fact, I'm sure they are not which is why many AirBnBs have been removed from their website. Contacting the property management company would be one way to check on the legality of the unit. You might be able to find that management company by googling the address along with the words "property management company."

Reply to: Where to Stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted