We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maffeo Sutton Park

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Maffeo Sutton Park

Hi Everyone,

We are arriving by ferry at Departure Bay and thought it would be nice to drop by Maffeo Sutton Park. Would anyone please be able to advise the following:

1) Is 3 hour free parking still available at Maffeo Sutton Park? If paid parking, I'm assuming credit card is accepted or do we need to bring coins?

2) Is there 1 main parking lot that we park in or are there different parking lots scattered throughout the park?

3) We have 2 kids and would like to check out the playground. Is there a parking lot near the playground?

4) What other spots in the park do you think 2 kids (under 12) would be interested in seeing.

5) Where is the entrance to the park? Is it well marked?

6) Are we able to do a "drive through" around the park (example: in Vancouver's Stanley park you are able drive around the park as there is a road that loops around the park). I know that we won't be able to do the complete sea wall walk at Maffeo Park but would be interested in doing a complete "drive through" around the park.

Thanks for answering as many of the above noted questions as possible. Have a great day! :-)

9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maffeo Sutton Park

It’s nice to hear that someone plans to spend some time in Nanaimo after arriving by ferry instead of hitting the highway out of town with the masses! :-)

1) The first 3 hours of parking at Maffeo Sutton are free. If you plan to spend longer there, you can buy additional time with coins, debit, or credit card. I usually get a free 3 hour ticket to display on the dashboard just so there’s no chance of an error.

2) There is a parking area separated into two by a short access road. Pay attention to the arrows painted on the lanes since most are one way.

3) Yes, the parking lot is not far from the playground. 4) There is a small beach, a zip line (fun to watch) and boats in the harbour. The waterfront walkway is here; facing the water, if you walk to the right there’s more of interest (public art installations, float plane dock, boats, ice cream shop, tea shop, café). There’s a street market a few blocks away on Commercial Street Thursdays 5:00-9:00pm with some fun activities for kids.

5) The park is easy to get to from the Departure Bay ferry. When exiting the ferry, drive straight ahead down Stewart Avenue to a T intersection; turn left (I think it’s onto Terminal Ave) and get into the left hand turn lane. You will see the park a bit below you on your left; turn left again at the lights (there are a bunch of flags at this corner) and left again into the park.

6) No, it isn’t possible to drive through Maffeo Sutton Park, it’s not a large area except for the waterfront walkway.

7) I’ll just mention that the only time parking is not available there is when there’s a special event (lunchtime concerts, festivals, etc. ). Otherwise I’ve never had a problem finding a space.

Enjoy your visit!

Vancouver Island, BC
Level Contributor
358 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maffeo Sutton Park

Last time I was at Maffeo there was the free parking. It is just one big parking lot. No, it is not a drive through park. It is a small waterfront park that has a great seawall walk. You could park and walk the sea wall to a few eateries or ice cream at the marina. Ride the ferry to Newcastle Island and hike that park, or ride the ferry to the Dinghy Dock and have lunch.

Maffeo Sutton Park is located at the corner of the Island Hwy and Comox Rd. I've attached a link for you to see.

https:/…50-Maffeo-Sutton-Park

When you depart the ferry at Departure Bay, head straight through the first set of lights at the ferry terminal and continue straight on that road (Stewart Ave) until you reach the intersecting lights at Stewart and Island Hwy. Turn left and stay in left turn lane, turn left at next light (Comox Rd), then immediate left into Maffeo Sutton Park.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maffeo Sutton Park

Thanks to both Nanaimowannabe & Mitca for your detailed and quick replies! Appreciate your help!

Attn: Nanaimowannabe ... you mentioned getting a free 3 hour parking ticket to display on your dashboard.

Where do we get this free 3 hour parking ticket? At the parking ticket pay booth?

Thanks again for your help! :-)

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,488 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maffeo Sutton Park

Yes, from the ticket booth.

The park, one of our favourites, is not really that large. You'll have a great day out there but you might also considering taking a ferry, from Maffeo Sutton Park over to Saysutshun or Newcastle Island Provincial Park. Tickets are $5 return. This is a huge park. Nice playground. Restaurant at The Pavillion. Vending machines selling drinks. Walk around to Kanaka Bay and paddle about in the shallow ocean water. Fantastic place for you and your kids.

http://newcastleisland.ca/

Edited: 02 August 2018, 00:02
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maffeo Sutton Park

Hi BuccaneerDave! Thanks for the info! Appreciate your extra tips! :-)

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,488 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maffeo Sutton Park

If you have a car, and extra time, you might want to consider taking your kids to Pipers Lagoon Park off Hammond Bay Road. Rocky beach, lagoon, eagles nest, forest walk, driftwood fort and lots of other things for them.

And last park tip ... if your kids like speed, Barney Moriez Park on Poplar Street has two metal slides, polished from decades of use, that are at a steep angle. Kids love them. You can go super fast if you want. Or not.

Enjoy your visit to Nanaimo.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Maffeo Sutton Park

Thanks again Buccaneer Dave! :-)

Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maffeo Sutton Park

Heart2Visit, You asked about other things of interest and last night as I was walking past the Bastion I noticed a sign about the daily cannon firing at noon. This is a 10 minute walk (or less) from Maffeo Sutton Park. It’s the last remaining Hudson’s Bay Company Bastion in North America and the oldest building in Nanaimo. Even if you are not there in time for the cannon firing, I think your kids would enjoy a visit there. As I recall it’s 3 floors inside with very steep stairs so probably not suitable for very young children. Admission is by donation.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Maffeo Sutton Park

Thanks Nanaimowannabe! Everyone has been so helpful! Have a great long weekend everyone! :-)

Reply to: Maffeo Sutton Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted