We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice needed

Market Harborough...
Level Contributor
14 posts
27 reviews
Itinerary Advice needed

Hi there, I posted a week ago with some questions and was really grateful for the advice I received (here is my original post if you'd like to know more about our background and what we like etc - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g154943-i81-k11776735-Itinerary_Advice_Seattle_Vancouver_Tofino_Whistler_etc-Vancouver_British_Columbia.html)

I've now knuckled down what I think should be our final itinerary and was hoping someone could comment on the feasibility. I've tried to keep this brief as I appreciate it takes so much time to read - but I have also thoroughly researched what we'd like to do in each area and possible accommodation - it's really the distances etc that I want to check are okay, Plus our first day is all travelling, but I don't see a way around this...)

24th May - Land at Vancouver Airport, 11.30am. Get the 5.45pm Amtrak Cascades train to Seattle.

3 nights in Seattle. (Museums, Markets, Outlet Shopping, Space Needle etc)

27th May - Clipper ferry to Victoria.

1 night in Victoria. (Not sure exactly what we'd like to do here, but a shame to miss it!)

28th May - Hire a car and drive to Tofino. Sightseeing en-route.

3 Nights in Tofino. (Hiking, surfing, adventure activities. Meal at The Pointe restaurant on our wedding anniversary).

31st May - Drive to the Cowichan Valley wine region.

1 night here - Any recommendations for somewhere to stay? (Wine tasting, relaxing)

1st June - Drive to Whistler via Nanaimo Ferry. Sightseeing en-route, viewing bears (!)

3 nights here (Zipline, white water rafting, spa, possibly summer skiing)

4th June - Drive to Vancouver, return hire car.

3 nights here (Major sights, Chinatown, Yoga etc)

7th June - Fly home to UK, 15.10pm

Do you think this sounds reasonable? Is there anything you would change?

Thank you so much once again for your help! x

(P.S. We do have our ETA and ESTA for the trip!!)

10 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5,192 posts
434 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary Advice needed

Looks like a great trip to me, you have allotted several days in one place before moving on, good idea.

Edited: 29 July 2018, 02:58
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
6,422 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary Advice needed

For Cowichan Valley check out staying at Cowichan Bay, a beautiful spot.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,498 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary Advice needed

Here is the live link without the parenthesis: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g154…

Looks good. June skiing at Whistler will mean the Horstman Glacier on Blackcomb, for advanced skiers.

Rather wander around our Chinatown, give it some meaning by taking an organised tour.

A Wok Around Chinatown: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review…

Or

Historical Chinatown Tours: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review…

Market Harborough...
Level Contributor
14 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary Advice needed

Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions! That’s fantastic, I’ll certainly take it all on-board.

One final question if you don’t mind - we’re really torn between the Amtrak Cascades train and just hiring a car and driving to Seattle after landing in Vancouver.

I understand from the forum the train is the easiest and most scenic - but the timings are pretty terrible for us, arriving so late into Seattle. Also since we’d quite like to visit the Seattle Premium Outlets, which is on the drive from Vancouver - then driving would mean our first day wasn’t just ‘wasted’ with travelling as we’d also check this off.

The additional cost of car hire with one-way drop off isn’t too terrible and the convenience for getting the car straight from the airport appeals, it’s mainly just the border crossing that worries us. We did cross the Canada-US border before at Niagra Falls but it was almost 10 years ago when I imagine security wasn’t as tight!

What are your thoughts? x

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5,192 posts
434 reviews
5. Re: Itinerary Advice needed

Rent the car, your on holidays, no big hurry, if the boarder takes awhile that's part of the experience, good or bad.

6. Re: Itinerary Advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2018, 13:50
Edited: 23 August 2018, 13:50

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
22,166 posts
132 reviews
7. Re: Itinerary Advice needed

Self-promotion is not allowed here. Your post has been reported.

8. Re: Itinerary Advice needed

I was offering a suggestion, that's all - am new to this! Tell me how to delete (I can't figure it out?) and I will - with pleasure :)

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
14,087 posts
152 reviews
9. Re: Itinerary Advice needed

To delete your post go to the bottom right corner where you will see a blue live link. Click on that and various options come up..including "delete my post" which only be an option for the OP (original poster=you)

I have also reported as self promotion.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
14,087 posts
152 reviews
10. Re: Itinerary Advice needed

@Happy Jax...rent the car. Realize that you will have to stop at the border and go in to be fingerprinted and get an I94 waiver which will be attached electronically to your passport. This should take about 1/2 hour.

Meander down to Seattle possibly going via Chuckanut Drive.

Realize that Seattle traffic will be brutal from 3 pm on and just be prepared to go with the flow. ( or rather the stop start LOL)

I love your itinerary. You have the magic 3 nights ion key stops which I think gives you time to really enjoy a place.

The Seattle shopping outlets will not be a highlight. Much of the merchandise is purpose made for them and not truly top quality at a reduced price. If you're prepared for that then fine do a stop. (Generally people report back being disappointed)

Taking the train:

Not sure how tired you'll be after the long flight and then adjusting to driving on the wrong side of the road which is the only reason I'd suggest opting for the train. Yes the timing is Cruddy but if I were you I'd land at 11:30 then get a day room at the Fairmont Airport hotel for 4 hours to freshen up, have a swim, maybe a short nap. At 3:30 I'd take a cab from the airport to the Pacific Central train station (cab fare is zoned so a flat $31 plus tip) Get checked in for your train trip, Get your I94 done, go through customs. Upgrade to Business Class for the train simply for convenience and better seating. (Sit on the right side of the train)

enjoy the views and have a relaxing ride after a long flight...you'll be fresh for your Seattle adventure without the hassle of car pick up and returns

Reply to: Itinerary Advice needed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted