We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday jasperbanff june2011

perth uk
Level Contributor
43 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday jasperbanff june2011

For my holiday in June 2011, I have booked an RV to see the Canadian Rockies. Can you advise me what I cant see or travel to in it.Could you also suggest possible alternatives to see the sights. We heard the accommodation was expensive but it looks like the RV was a mistake.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,095 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday jasperbanff june2011

Welcome to TripAdvisor! Have you seen this TripAdvisor Traveller Article about RV rentals to see the Rockies?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c104900/Canad…

TripAdvisor Traveller Articles are written, and compiled from forum postings, by TA members like you and me.

I don't know if I'd call renting an RV a "mistake". Of course, I'm a bit biased because I'm an RV owner myself. What is it that concerns you, exactly?

If you're worried about finding parking at viewpoints, then just make an early start. But there are not many places that I can think of which are simply inaccessible.

Of course, if you're feeling very uncomfortable now with the idea of driving a wider, longer vehicle than you're used to, then you may wish to change to staying in hotels.

Note, too, that June is springtime in the Rockies; you should expect cool overnight/morning temperatures, often near freezing.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,898 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday jasperbanff june2011

Traveling the Canadian Rockies National Parks in an RV is certainly one of the best ways to see the Rockies. In June, there is a lot of daylight to enjoy while you are camping.

In Banff, the Tunnel Mountain Campground is quite a luxurious campground - and you've got town nearby if you wanted the amenities of restaurants, shops and a shower and soak at the Banff Upper Hot Springs.

In Lake Louise - camping down by the Bow River and walking on the trails is incredible in the evening. If you wanted some place even more remote, try the Mosquito Creek Campground.

You can access all of the sites of Banff and Lake Louise easily in our area. The parking lot at the Banff Gondola and the Upper Hot Springs is big! It's also possible to leave the RV at the campground and take the bus in Banff. The parking lots and pull-outs are generous for driving and you'll find lots of other people doing what you are doing - driving along and enjoying the magnificent views.

If you have any other specific questions - let us know.

banfflakelouise

perth uk
Level Contributor
43 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday jasperbanff june2011

I would like to follow up on my RV holiday. Driving the RV was no problem. My husband loved driving it. The problem was getting him to stop to see the sights.It was exceptionally comfortable to travel in.We had no trouble what so ever on our journey. The parks have lay bys and parking lots. All the sights are posted so a sat nav is not necessary. The only difficulty we had was at Johnson Canyon. We arrived at 11am and had to circle car parks for a while to get a place. It was very busy.

Other motorists were very courteous and helpful.They often indicate or roll down their window to tell you if there is any thing of interest ahead.

I had to seriously curtail my itinerary. As soon as we hit Jasper our timetable went out of the window.I loved it.

There were road works at Yoho and Lake Louise but it did not impede our progress and traffic was smooth and well organised.

A warning to motorists - between Yoho and Lake Louise in a 2 km slot, four police cars are waiting and catching passing motorists like flies. Drive carefully.

My favourite RV resort was Wapita. Where else would people come second? Elk bedded down in the resort so the park staff blocked bookings to that area. Imagine animals being more important than making money.I love it. You could sit and watch wild life as it is. Far better than any zoo! My least favourite was Tunnel Mountain. This resort is very functional but more like a car park.

Sadly in Kootenay we saw a deer killed on the road. Ironically it was on a well sign posted road,which warned that most animals are killed in that area.There was significant damage to the vehicle.In Kootenay the road is lower with large grass verges which encourages the animals to come close to the road. Drive carefully.

I would like to tell you what wild life we saw. In Wapiti we saw Elk.Black Bear and marmots were spotted in Icefields Parkway.At Sunwapta Pass we saw mountain goats. In the Cline River valley we saw a black bear and five mountain goats.Five deer were at Lake Louise and we saw three bears at the ski lift.Then we met a brown bear, two goats,one big horn sheep and a deer at Kootenay. In Banff I came across a deer at the Bow Falls and noticed there were deer also at Tunnel Mountain.

My hat goes off to all the park staff.They were very friendly, helpful and informative.Clearly a great deal of money has been spent on the parks.The roads are very good and easy to travel on. The stops are marked and the resorts we stayed in had all the provisions, toilets etc and were exceptionally clean.

I take my hat off to the parks,they are wonderful and their staff should be applauded for a job well done.

The only thing I would like to change is the weather.We saw a lot of rain, even some hail.Being from Scotland, I am no stranger to rain, but you get it good!

In short, I loved it all. Hope I can return.

Thank you for your advice and updates, they have been very helpful.Particular thanks to Country_Wife Calgary... and banff lakeloui...

Bye for now.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,095 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday jasperbanff june2011

Thanks so much for letting us know about your trip, Corinne! Feedback of all kinds - positive and negative - is so valuable to everyone on the forums. I'll add a link to your post on this TripAdvisor Traveller Article that lists all the trip reports for the Canadian Rockies:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c123791/Canad…

If you don't wish to have your trip report included on that list, you can remove it; Traveller Articles are wikis, which means that any TA member can edit them.

PS The amount of rain this June has been much higher than usual throughout much of Alberta.

Edited: 01 July 2011, 01:51
Canmore, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday jasperbanff june2011

Thank you for the lovely summary of your trip. I am pleased to hear that travelling in an RV in this area is easier than it looks.

Do you mind me asking how much the RV rental worked out to per night? How did you feel it compared to staying in a hotel? Your original post had some reservations, but it sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed the RV experience.

perth uk
Level Contributor
43 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday jasperbanff june2011

The cost of the rv per night was $91 per night. When renting, enquire about the pick up and drop off times. We neglected to do this and I feel we lost 2 days.

Also, check the insurance terms and conditions. Our company did not cover for lots of damage to the rv. This meant the full cost of repair would be by you.This could be in excess of $50,000. We would have chickened out but they would have kept all the money we paid in advance for the rv and we couldnt have afforded another holiday.

We did not know the time scale of our trip while planning it.It is hard to judge, when you have never been somewhere, how long it will take to get somewhere, or how much there is to see.We felt, by having an rv, we could find accommodation more easily than by using other accommodation. To do the trip transport was essential. It is perhaps similar in cost using a car and hotel,to an rv and rv resort. Not having used hotel accommodation I cant really say for sure. From my research, the cost of accommodation is quite expensive in the parks and it would need to be booked in advance. we might not have been able to see the sights we did,had we had prior accommodation booked.The rv allowed us to move at our own pace.

Hope this helps.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,898 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday jasperbanff june2011

Glad you had a great holiday Corinne! The comment we hear most frequently is "we should have taken more time".

8. Re: Holiday jasperbanff june2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 02:46