We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice patio restaurants

Newmarket
Level Contributor
775 posts
56 reviews
146 helpful votes
Nice patio restaurants
Save

We are headed to Jasper/Banff next month and are a little concerned about the Covid numbers going up. We are thinking that, weather permitting, we might feel more comfortable eating dinner on patios rather than indoors. I am wondering, therefore, if people can recommend some restaurants with nice patios that are in or close to Jasper. It might be necessary for me to book them ahead of time before I depart. Any recommendations for Banff would be appreciated too. However, I am going to post this on the Banff forum as well. Thanks in advance!

6 replies to this topic
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
27,877 posts
124 reviews
185 helpful votes
1. Re: Nice patio restaurants
Save

There are a lot more outdoor dining options now in Jasper than there ever were before; the Town became more permissive about it, to assist restaurants during the pandemic.

However, many of the "patios" are located on the shoulder or parking lane of one of the two main streets in Jasper (Patricia Street and Connaught Drive). They are protected by concrete barriers, and many of the restaurants have done quite a lot to enhance the ambiance, with plants etc. ... but the fact remains that much of the seating is literally a foot or two away from traffic.

There are one or two places that have put temporary outdoor seating on the sidewalk, and then run a pedestrian walk around/outside it, on the street parking lane. When the outdoor seating was first allowed, I thought that's how they were going to require it done ... I have seen this before, in Canmore, and think it's highly preferable to seating on the actual road (and also doesn't require the restaurant staff to wind through pedestrians on the sidewalk).

Some of the outdoor dining has heaters ... September evenings get chilly! You'll want to dress warmly.

I would not dine inside anywhere now in Jasper, and most definitely not in Banff, which currently has the highest infection rates in Alberta, and possibly all of Canada. I can't say for Banff (but suspect the situation is similar) but with the recent littler surge we had here in Jasper (which, happily, seems to be abating), there were a number of restaurants that had to close due to staffing issues, with employees either infected, or close contacts of confirmed cases. Some restaurants closed for a few days, other reduced hours or closed at lunch, etc.

The age group of typical hospitality workers is group with the lowest percentage of vaccination, and also, lifestyle can be a factor - living in close quarters, with many room-mates, a very "social" lifestyle, etc.

I have only eaten out here at home since before the pandemic began - I had appies and a drink on a patio at Elk Village Restaurant, which is located about two or three km south of the town, at Jasper House Bungalows. The patio is away from the road, on the hotel property and was pleasant.

In town, Fiddle River Restaurant has always had a few outdoor tables upstairs at the mall building its in. Jasper Pizza Place has a roof patio. Earl's has always had outdoor seating on their balcony. With both of these, you have to go through the restaurant to access the outdoor seating.

Kumamas Bistro, at Pine Bungalows, just outside town, apparently has great food and a nice patio. I have yet to get out there to check it out for myself.

Whistlers Pub made a change to their liquor license, I believe, so that they can seat families on their sidewalk seating, possibly only until 8 p.m.(?) . If you are travelling with minors, you could check on that.

De'd Dog Pub also has sidewalk seating (quite limited) and pub style food. I'm not sure if they can allow minors though.

Will try to remember to pay more attention to patios next time I am downtown (definitely NOT today because I usually bicycle and we're having an absolute downpour day.) Will report back...

Edited: 23 August 2021, 01:16
Laval, Canada
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
41 reviews
31 helpful votes
2. Re: Nice patio restaurants
Save

We had a nice meal on the patio at Olive bistro. It is on a side street so a little quieter than the main strip, which was crowded. Plenty of patio heaters and really nice views of the mountains.

Newmarket
Level Contributor
775 posts
56 reviews
146 helpful votes
3. Re: Nice patio restaurants
Save

Thanks for the suggestions!

ottawa
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: Nice patio restaurants
Save

We had lunch on the patio at the Wilderness Kitchen in the park by the Maligne Canyon. Absolutely beautiful scenery and the food was great.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
27,877 posts
124 reviews
185 helpful votes
5. Re: Nice patio restaurants
Save

Had lunch to celebrate a birthday on the patio at the Raven Bistro. The food was great and the little wooden "booths" they've got for outdoor seating are cosy and nicer than just sitting out in the open. However, we were on the outside table, on the traffic side and there are no concrete barriers around the perimeter of the patio, just a small parking curb, so I felt rather vulnerable. Traffic noise was also annoying at times, literally a foot or two away. A couple of times, the car or truck that had been parked right before the booth pulled out and accelerated and we had to stop conversation until it had passed. Would not have eaten there if I got to choose, but it was the choice of the person whose birthday it was.

Edited: 26 August 2021, 01:41
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
7,703 posts
122 reviews
155 helpful votes
6. Re: Nice patio restaurants
Save

In Banff, my favourite for outdoor dining is the Juniper Bistro at the Juniper hotel. For morning coffee and pastry, the Whitebark cafe on Banff Avenue.

Reply to: Nice patio restaurants
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.