We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jasper and Banff must do/see. for last week of Aug/2018.

Mississauga, Canada
6 posts
Jasper and Banff must do/see. for last week of Aug/2018.

Me and my wife planning to travel to jasper and banff end of Aug/2018. we are trying to plan the trip and since we are 1st time traveling we are trying to put to gather itinerary so we can spend times do/seeing things with out rushing. we will be staying-little out of jasper and banff since we are unable to find accommodation with our last min planing budget.

to visit jasper we ware staying in town of Hinton. we will be there for 3nts and then drive to Canmore. we will be staying 4nts in canmore to visit jasper.

we are good with starting the day around 7ish and ending at 9ish so we can have some time for dinner.

is there anything in both town site to visit?

what can we do/see in jasper area with the time we have?

which must do/see spots can be covered and how much time required at each spot on the drive from jasper to banff ?

is visiting Columbia ice field tour must or can be skipped and just do glacier sky walk?

which hike spot is must in jasper and/or banff?

which skytram should we pick jasper or banff?

what can we do/see in banff area with the time we have?

also i noticed there is many canyon's and lake suggested but considering the time we have we are sure not going to be able to visit all therefore few suggestion of which one is must visit will help.

lastly any suggestion for good place to eat(breakfast,lunch & dinner) at both location and on the drive will help.

suggestion for this question will help us prioritize places to visit.

thank you in advance for taking time to make suggestion which will help us plan our trip.

15 replies to this topic
Mississauga, Canada
6 posts
11. Re: Jasper and Banff must do/see. for last week of Aug/2018.

Thank you very much for taking time to write the answer. This will help a lot.

Mississauga, Canada
6 posts
12. Re: Jasper and Banff must do/see. for last week of Aug/2018.

Thank you Chris!

How many days did you spend in Banff? Is it possible to hike sulphur skyline after 5pm?

Mississauga, Canada
6 posts
13. Re: Jasper and Banff must do/see. for last week of Aug/2018.

Thank you Chris!

How many days you spend in jaspery? Is it possible to do the shulpher skyline hike after 5pm?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
4 reviews
14. Re: Jasper and Banff must do/see. for last week of Aug/2018.

It would not be suggested to start any hike at 5pm. That's very late in the day, and not only do you have an increased risk of bad weather, you put yourself at risk by ending up in the dark. The search & rescue groups here do many, many rescues every year from people who get benighted.

Sulphure Skyline is a strenuous and exposed hike -- it's one I suggest starting early because the area is prone to afternoon/evening storms and you don't want to be caught after dark. It would not be at all appropriate to start it at 5pm - it's a half day hike at least so should be started by late morning.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,810 posts
130 reviews
15. Re: Jasper and Banff must do/see. for last week of Aug/2018.

Nilesh, unless you and your wife are super fit (people who train for aerobic fitness, like runners or triathletes), then I agree, 5 pm is pushing it too late for starting that trail. Parks Canada suggests the hike generally takes 4 to 6 hours. (Four hours is realistic, imo ... six hours, you'd have to be a veeeery slow hiker.) A few years back, when I was more fit, I did the hike in 3 hours (with my very fit then-in-his-70s father), but that was spending NO time on top, because it was too cold and windy (as is often the case there).

Sunset on Aug. 31 is 8:43 pm and it will be light for a bit after that, but it can be dim in the forest and you'd have to be careful about tripping on rocks or roots. Also, wildlife gets more active in the cool of the evening, so you'd need to be noisy (as always, hike "bear aware"). As mentioned, this isn't a hike you want to do if there are any thunderstorms about, or forecasted (which is often the case in the eastern part of the park when it's been a warm or hot summer day.)

All that said, however ... if you *are* really fit, if the weather cooperates, if you start the trail by 5 o'clock (and not any later), and if you have headlamps or a flashlight with you, then it would be ok to go.

Reply to: Jasper and Banff must do/see. for last week of Aug/2018.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jasper
Recent Conversations