We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't find anyplace to stay around Jasper

Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Can't find anyplace to stay around Jasper

1 adult & 2 teens, august 7th to 9th. Anything, anywhere! please, any suggestions.

22 replies to this topic
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,492 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't find anyplace to stay around Jasper

I’m not surprised you can’t find anything at this point, Jasper is quite small, no other towns within a reasonable distance. Most visitors book 6-9 months in advance. Hotels have been reporting 100% occupancy in the summer for the past few years.

Have you tried the Private Home Accomodation?

www.stayinjasper.com

Hinton is about an hour’s drive away.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 09:00
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't find anyplace to stay around Jasper

Most PHAs only accept 2 persons. I tried all the ones listed on stayinjasper.com, I think. I read Hinton is almost 2h away with the traffic. Can't find one even for 1 night.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,685 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't find anyplace to stay around Jasper

There are no options at this late in the planning..... unless you buy a tent and try the first come first serve campgrounds.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,704 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't find anyplace to stay around Jasper

Keep trying on the www.stayinjasper.com site. Use the search engine at the top of the home page, and check it regularly, in case anything opens up (cancellation etc.) Hopefully something will come up. Hotels are listed at www.jasper.travel and you can sign up to get a last minute report for vacancies ... I think they come out weekly, showing the upcoming week.

But I guess you should also consider "plan B" - either Hinton, or re-arranging your itinerary elsewhere. Hinton is about an hour, but there is a major construction project at the east park gate, which may be slowing things down. Valemount, BC is the next closest town - but it's 1.5 hours away.

Have you tried the Hostelling International wilderness hostels?

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't find anyplace to stay around Jasper

Just had a look at Tekarra Lodge and they have a double available for your dates, maybe give them a ring to see if you can reserve 2 double rooms for your family?

I can’t vouch for the place myself but we are staying there when we visit in a couple of weeks.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't find anyplace to stay around Jasper

Tonquin Inn has availability for your dates. Junior King Suite

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
8,103 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can't find anyplace to stay around Jasper

Have you been contacting the PHAs directly? The search engine on www.stayinjasper.com is a good start, but it's not 100% accurate. I think certainly a majority of PHAs can accommodate 3 or 4 people, but it just be may that at this point, most are booked nearly to capacity.

But yes, Plan B is good -- just try to get reservations that be cancelled. And use the resources mentioned above to keep looking for cancellations or last minute availability.

Hinton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can't find anyplace to stay around Jasper

Hinton is one hour from Jasper

Hinton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can't find anyplace to stay around Jasper

The construction at the east gate is no problem, not slowing down traffic at all.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
244 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Can't find anyplace to stay around Jasper

Hinton is maybe one hour away from Jasper townsite, not 2 hours away, especially for a mid-week visit like you are doing.

Hinton is a working town, not a tourist town like Jasper, so you are better off staying in Jasper if you can. But I have stayed in Hinton when Jasper was all booked up, and a motel is a motel, with just some extra driving to get to the highlights of Jasper National Park.

You are only there for 2 or 3 nights, so yes, get Jasper accommodation if you can, but if you can't, then hey, Hinton will meet your needs.

Reply to: Can't find anyplace to stay around Jasper
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jasper
Recent Conversations