We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive Edmonton to Grand Prairie to Jasper

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Drive Edmonton to Grand Prairie to Jasper

Hi. I have a meeting in GP in July and am thinking of driving form Edmonton to Grand Prairie to Jasper. Can anyone tell me if this is a scenic route as I will have my family with me? Or should they stay in Edmonton while I fly to Grand Prairie?

6 replies to this topic
Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive Edmonton to Grand Prairie to Jasper

Edmonton to GP is not scenic, neither is Edmonton to Jasper... at least for most of it. GP to Jasper is a bit of an adventurous route... maybe someone that's driven that more recently can chime in on what it's like these days. My sister lives in GP.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive Edmonton to Grand Prairie to Jasper

How long do you have to this? That's at least a day's drive through. What are the activity plans for your family while you are in GP? There is not much to do there. Might want to have them stay in Edmonton and you fly to GP and then drive from Edmonton to Jasper on another day.

Grande Cache, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive Edmonton to Grand Prairie to Jasper

Hi I live in Grande Cache and have driven all those routes. Edmonton-GP is all good four lane highway, easy driving. The section from Edmonton-Whitecourt-Valleyview is essentially all in the trees with not much to see. Valleyview-GP portion brings you into the Peace Region prairie land. Beautiful rolling hills of wheat and canola fields. Kleskun Hill natural area has some hoodoos you can stroll around and a ghost town. Close to GP is Beaverlodge where you can see a giant road side beaver and there's the Saskatoon Island Provincial park.

The drive from GP-Grande Cache is mostly two lane and there's heavy oil and gas traffic for the first 80 km. Grande Cache is very scenic and surrounded by mountains. Grande Cache to Hinton is two lane road and is quite scenic once you get into the Switzer Park. Definitely stop at Kelly's Bathtub for a nice stroll around the lake and a great mountain view. The Athabasca Lookout stop is also amazing and is about a 20 min hike up a hill. The view from Brule is beautiful too and there are some hiking trails in the town. Hinton has an amazing interpretive trail around a beaver hut called the beaver boardwalk. They also have a lot of bike trails and I think you can rent bikes at Vicious cycle.

And of course the Hinton to Jasper drive is absolutely amazing.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive Edmonton to Grand Prairie to Jasper

Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate the time you have taken to respond.

Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
1 post
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive Edmonton to Grand Prairie to Jasper

well its the prairies! the drive from edm to gp isnt really exciting but gp to jasper is nice once you hit grande cache and start to see the mountains. the highway to jasper is very very very dangerous though! lots of rig trucks and wildlife. seems like every week someone dies on this road. good luck!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive Edmonton to Grand Prairie to Jasper

I know this thread is several years old, but I'm planning an autumn drive through northern Alberta, including Grande Prairie, partly because of the dinosaur museum in Wembley, but also because natural landscapes are part of the focus of any trip I make. This thread is the only place I came across any mention of the Kleskun Hill natural area. I have now downloaded the directions and maps of this area. Good stuff. Thanks for the info.

Reply to: Drive Edmonton to Grand Prairie to Jasper
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grande Prairie