We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most affordable way to travel from Winnipeg to Vancouver

5 posts
Save Topic
Most affordable way to travel from Winnipeg to Vancouver

Hi,

I would just want to know what's the best & affordable means of traveling from Winnipeg to Vancouver, B.C. This is our first trip going to the west side with my family (2 children aged 2 & 6). I'm still gathering information whether by train, bus or by car. As for car, my concern is never had driven outside of Manitoba. Any information or feedback is very much appreciated. FYI we are planning to travel in the summer around 2nd week of July. Thank you!

Regards,

GDE

Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
8 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
23,939 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most affordable way to travel from Winnipeg to Vancouver

Is this just a straight - get to Vancouver fastest possible or a holiday see things along the way trip?

Car would give you most flexibility in terms of where to go and what to see on your trip. Driving outside of Manitoba is easy ... nothing different, other than mountains. Same kind of highways and highway driving rules.

Bus would be very long, and I suspect difficult for children that young - they get restless easily, and no place for them to run around.

Train would also be long, and unless you travel in a sleeper car, you'd be sleeping upright in seats.

Train and bus are straight through ... no stopping overnights.

In terms of cost, you'd have to check relevant websites.

Greyhound

VIA Rail

Edited: 08 February 2014, 19:28
Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,299 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most affordable way to travel from Winnipeg to Vancouver

With kids??? Car is the only viable option. The train is expensive, and on a bus...OMG - my idea of hell.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,312 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most affordable way to travel from Winnipeg to Vancouver

I'm not sure why this is posted in the Grande Prairie forum, since GP is not directly on any route from Winnipeg to Vancouver.

The easiest and quickest way from Winnipeg to Vancouver would be to fly.... WestJet or Air Canada. The second easiest would be the VIA Rail train, the Canadian www.viarial.ca. Third choice would be to drive, taking several days. A very distant last choice, especially if travelling with kids, would be the Greyhound bus.

Mentioned in this post
Grande Prairie
Grande Prairie
Alberta, Canada
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
VIA Rail Canada
VIA Rail Canada
1,726 Reviews
Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,720 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most affordable way to travel from Winnipeg to Vancouver

A quick look shows, WestJet takes 3 hours non stop to Vancouver, total for 2 adults 2 children is around $1189 one way.

VIA Rail takes 46 hours, meals included, upper and lower berths, for 2 adults and 2 children, $3654 (yes, $3654) one way.

Greyhound takes 36 hours straight through with very brief stops, for 2 adults and 2 children, $600 but I can't tell if that includes taxes as I didn't want to actually finishing the booking process. One way. Stopping in cities on the way would require hotels in addition.

Driving is about 2300 km and 24 hours straight driving. If you decided you wanted to drive 5 hours a day, which would give you 3-5 hours of sightseeing and stretching legs each day, then about 5 days to do the trip in the car.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 12:36
Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,996 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most affordable way to travel from Winnipeg to Vancouver

According to my rough calculations, gas for that 2400 km drive would be $400-$600 (one way). Accommodation expenses would add (very roughly) $100 per night.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,312 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most affordable way to travel from Winnipeg to Vancouver

For the sake of comparison, if you were actually considering taking Greyhound, you could also consider the VIA trip is without overnight sleeping accommodation (berths); in coach, it would be quite a lot cheaper and would be similar to being on the bus in that you would sleep in your seat (but far more comfortable than the bus ... the seats recline and you can get up and walk around). The trip takes two nights... you leave Winnipeg in the evening, and arrive in Vancouver in the morning two days later (i.e. not quite 48 hours). You would still have meal expenses, although you could keep those down by being prepared and bringing some food and snack items with you.

The fare, regular price, for four, is $1218 (kids 2 to 11 are half price), and there is an "Express Deal" on now, for selected trains and with limited seats available, at $811.40.

The pricing in posts above is a bit of an "apples and oranges" comparison, since the Greyhound and driving estimates don't include meals and overnight accommodation, while the VIA one with sleeping accommodation does. (Although typically, to get the cheapest Greyhound fares, you would not have any stopovers with accommodation, you would buy a ticket and ride the bus all in one go. ICK... that would be hard enough to do as an adult, it's nightmare-inducing to consider trying to do with small children!)

Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Parksville, B.C.
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most affordable way to travel from Winnipeg to Vancouver

It doesn't take that long to drive to Winnipeg. I have done it in 3 days easily, stopping for the night. It would take approximately 24 hours if you were driving straight, so break that up over 3 days at 8 hours of driving per day.

Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
23,939 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most affordable way to travel from Winnipeg to Vancouver

Anniemary58 ... the OP traveled in 2014. Always good to check the dates on threads before posting.

Reply to: Most affordable way to travel from Winnipeg to Vancouver
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grande Prairie