We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling North from G.P but only have 5 days- ideas?

Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
34 posts
20 reviews
Travelling North from G.P but only have 5 days- ideas?

We live in New Zealand and have been visiting my aging mother for the past two years. We are visiting my mother ( 2014 june or July)again in Grande Prairie but only want to venture away up to 5 days ( our whole trip willl only be 12 days as that is all we can afford off work) . We have already explored Jasper, Banff etc... Last year we visited Wells Grays National Park. now want to start working our way towards Yukon and Alaska. Do we #1 take bite size trips ( as we will mostly likely visit annually) and work our way upwards ( if so where) ( We would rather enjoy a place rather spend the whole time driving around in a hurry ) . or #2 take a flight straight to desination Yukon and travel from there( but that will add to cost ) ? Or any other ideas? We can have the use of mothers car and money is an issue . WE are a couple in our 50's and like day walks, wildlife and scenic sight seeing.

Any idea's would be greatfull recieved

With Kindness

Rachelle Whitehead

8 replies to this topic
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Travelling North from G.P but only have 5 days- ideas?

well i've been looking at the map and sorry i don't have a lot of suggestions for 5 days. can you fly from grande prairie to yellowknife? that would be a good destination for 5 days but i'm sure the flight is expensive and rental cars once you got there would be alot. day light hours would be really, really long though. i think it would be a 13 hour drive. a possible 5 day road trip would be drive to edmonton (we have some fun festivals during the summer months, river valley to walk along, elk island national park close by), then head down to drumheller (south/east of calgary) for two nights, a night on sullivan lake by red deer, ab on your way back to grande prairie. that would be about 17 hours of driving over your 5 days. another area that a lot of people like is northern saskatchewan....family go to meadow lake, sk every year but they go to rent a cabin and just relax, fish, enjoy the lake...might not be what you are looking for.

Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
34 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Travelling North from G.P but only have 5 days- ideas?

Thank You for your reply so quickly.. is it worth looking at Dawson Creek or Watson Lake or some of the places along the way ?

Kind Regards

Rachelle

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
3. Re: Travelling North from G.P but only have 5 days- ideas?

i don't know but go to the top of screen and type in "dawon creek bc"...a few reviews come up with things to do. looks like there is a decent walking trail and a museum about the alaskan highway.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,817 posts
130 reviews
4. Re: Travelling North from G.P but only have 5 days- ideas?

I have a friend who lives in Watson Lake, and from what I gather, it's a pretty small place. (Wikipedia says the population is 800 people.) I think it's mainly a stop-over on the way to Alaska (food, gas, accommodation), rather than a destination on its own. There is the "signpost forest" there, and the Northern Lights Centre. A mutual friend drove up to visit a couple of years ago, and enjoyed the wildlife sightings on the way (the highway is crawling with bison and caribou in some spots!) and Liard Hot Springs. But I dunno.... google maps puts GP to WL as 1100 km .... 2200 km in five days? That's a heck of a lot of driving!

Alberta
Level Contributor
437 posts
78 reviews
5. Re: Travelling North from G.P but only have 5 days- ideas?

It is about a 10 hour drive from Grande Prairie to Laird Hot springs. Dawson Creek is 1 hour 15 min and Fort St. John is 2 hours. There can be wildlife on the hwy we have seen bear, moose, deer, wolves but no bison or cariboo the days we drove it. Muncho Lake had a restaurant where ball caps covered the ceiling not sure if it is still there. Bijoux Falls is on the hwy to Prince George aprox 4 hours from GP. If you plan on coming to GP for the next few years the Philip Currie Dinosaur Museum is sheduled to open Dec 2014 in Wembley. One way car rentals are expensive so if you wanted to fly to say Whitehorse or Alaska I would do return flights and rent a car once you are there. I think 5 days would be too short to go any farther than Laird Hot Springs and even that would be pushing it.

Alberta
Level Contributor
437 posts
78 reviews
6. Re: Travelling North from G.P but only have 5 days- ideas?

There is a special deal on from Edmonton to Whitehorse until May 11 2014 including hotel I know your post says June or July but if you bookmark the site they might have other deals for the summer. Who knows?? flyairnorth.com/DealsAndNews/YukonFallWinter…

Alberta
Level Contributor
162 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Travelling North from G.P but only have 5 days- ideas?

Watson Lake is a very long drive from Grande Prairie and chances are, you'll have extra delays with any highway maintenance going on. Going through the Northern Rockies on the Alaska Highway, the speed limits are low, it's a twisty turny drive, it isn't like driving a long straight highway. There isn't much to Watson Lake other than the Sign Post Forest. 5 days isn't near enough time to head to the Yukon driving. The drive is amazing but it's so long that by the time you get to the Yukon, you'll have enough time to have a meal then start driving back.

As was mentioned, taking a flight out of Edmonton would be a better option. Monkman Pass near Tumbler Ridge is close enough to Grande Prairie with beautiful scenery, wildlife and great hiking.

Alberta
Level Contributor
10 posts
273 reviews
8. Re: Travelling North from G.P but only have 5 days- ideas?

Hi Rachelle,

Have you had your trip yet?

If you wanted to travel within the area and up north a bit, I would recommend the Dunvegan Valley (right before Fairview) and then driving the Shaftsbury Trail up to Peace River. Peace River is a larger center 6K people and has lots of activities and sttractions.

Dunvegan has some beautiful views and a nice rest stop by the Peace River - pack a picnic and enjoy if that would be of interest.

The Shaftsbury trail is a gorgeous drive and has lots of things to stop and see on the way to Peace River, an experience you may enjoy is taking the ferry across the river. (have to do it at least once!)

More information about the heritage sites on this route can be found on: discoverthepeacecountry.com/htmlpages/peacer…

I hope this information is helpful (if not for this trip for next) and you have (had) a great time!

Cheers!

Reply to: Travelling North from G.P but only have 5 days- ideas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grande Prairie