We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canmore-Calgary return for an evening game- ?possible

Level Contributor
16 posts
98 reviews
Canmore-Calgary return for an evening game- ?possible

How feasible is it to drive from Canmore to Scotiabank Saddledome for an 8pm Flames/Canuck game and drive back, in February- as visitors from Australia? Are there any public transport options that would be preferable for some or part of the route?IHow is parking at the venue? I have posted this in the Canmore forum as well as I am not sure how to choose the right forum to ask. We have a weeks stay booked in Canmore to sightsee, ski and chill (probably literally). Several of our family party are very keen to see this game, which falls right in the middle of our stay (or we would have just stayed in Calgary for the night)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Canmore-Calgary return for an evening game- ?possible

the drive between canmore and calgary is on a good highway and i wouldn't hesitate doing it. can't comment on the parking. flames tickets are very hard to get and very expensive. if you haven't already got them, this might be irrelavant.

Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Canmore-Calgary return for an evening game- ?possible

I also think this would be feasible. The drive to canmore is quite quick and very pretty (although lots of yours would probably be in the dark). You can definitely park at the saddledome, or in the area of it, but it does cost quite a bit and can be difficult with all the traffic. I would recommend coming into Calgary early and parking your car at one of the park and ride stations of the C-train in the NW of the city (Brentwood or Dalhousie are both good options). This way you can park, take the train into town and take a walk through downtown, grab a nice meal, and then head to the saddledome for the game. After the game you'll have to catch the train back out to the NW which can be crowded, but in my opinion still much better than dealing with parking/traffic.

The only variable is obviously the weather. February can be very cold with blizzards, but the weather literally changes daily (as I write this it is currently 10 degrees outside, not normal for January so who knows what will happen in Feb!). The highway is a popular route and one of the first to get plowed and looked after, but still you never know with the weather.

As long as you willing to have a late night I think this is a great plan! Hope that helps.

Calgary
Level Contributor
498 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Canmore-Calgary return for an evening game- ?possible

I would second the advice to come in early and park at a C-train station but I would go to the Chinook station. Coming in from Canmore on the #1 it will be easier to take Sarcee Trail to Glenmore Trail and then onto McLeod Trail to the train station. Parking at the Saddle Dome is expensive and it is crazy trying to get out after games. Very confusing if you don't know where you are going.

Definitly google a map, so you know exactly where you are going.

This Calgary Transit map is helpful and very interactive.

calgarytransit.com/html/ctrain_stations.html

There are shuttles but most are for the airport. You could email brewsters and ask if they have a downtown shuttle.

And as lttt said, this will be a very popular game, and tickets will be expensive, if you can even get any.

However, it will be a very fun experience, you should try to go if you can!

4. Re: Canmore-Calgary return for an evening game- ?possible

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2013, 15:52