We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel During First Weekend of Stampede

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
238 reviews
Hotel During First Weekend of Stampede

I am sure CountryWife can provide some great advice, but also looking to hear from some families that may have stayed at a Calgary hotel recently and ventured to the zoo or downtown. We have a car, so we can go anywhere (even drive to a c-train park and ride - which is totally fine).

I've narrowed down my hotel search to three. None perfect, but it's what fit into my budget and was available (there are some hotels that are sold out already during the first weekend of Stampede!):

1. Best Western Port O-Call Airport - yeah, it's a trek to Stampede Park, but it's a really well-rated hotel here on TA, has a pool for the kids (which is usually a must) - plus slide, free breakfast, and lots of space - plus it's CHEAP (at least for Stampede time!) ~$150/night.

2. Holiday Inn Macleod Trail South - at over $200 a night, it's a bit of a stretch. The location is good, being right by the c-train, BUT...there's a lot of cons associated to that (mainly excessive traffic/noise and crime/safety issues, from the reviews I've seen here on TA). The rooms are small and there's no included breakfast.

3. Best Western PLUS Suites Downtown - it's over $200 a night, too - but has bigger rooms and a free breakfast and free parking. It looks perfect EXCEPT - no pool for the kids. That's kind of a deal breaker, since we'll be there for 4 nights (July 4-8)

We're doing the parade and rodeo on the Friday and the evening show on Saturday - so only two days getting to and fro. The rest of the time will be spent visiting friends that live there and seeing other sites. I am less concerned with the proximity of the hotel due to that fact - so I am still thinking the Port O Call is our best bet. I spent a fair amount of time digging, but if you have any other suggestions, I'll gladly have a look. Thanks in advance!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,161 posts
94 reviews
1. Re: Hotel During First Weekend of Stampede

Hi, Pokee! I haven't stayed at the Port 'o Call, but I'm familiar with the location, and maybe I can add some helpful geographical info. It's not horribly far from the Whitehorn LRT station; you'd need to change trains in the downtown core to get to the Stampede, though. The NE LRT line also connects directly to the Calgary Zoo.

Here's the transit route on Google Maps: http://goo.gl/FGUWb

The Port O' Call's location is also not bad for driving, as you're right near the Deerfoot Trail freeway (Hwy 2).

One other hotel to toss into the mix for you is the Super 8 Shawnessy. It is not far from the Somerset LRT station (which is on the same South line as Stampede Park), has a pool with a water slide, and a free breakfast. But it is definitely further out than the Port O Call, and it doesn't have many reviews, if I recall correctly. If your friends live in the south end of Calgary, though, it might work out okay for you. You can also reach Heritage Park and the major shopping malls (Chinook, Southcentre) via the South LRT line.

Transit route from Super 8 Shawnessy to Stampede: http://goo.gl/A9yoD

Edited: 05 January 2012, 01:41
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
238 reviews
2. Re: Hotel During First Weekend of Stampede

Thanks for the suggestion - Super 8 isn't available during my dates, so that solves that!

I was thinking I'd just a station on the south line...maybe that's the best plan? 39th, Southland and Heritage all have park n' rides, so I am thinking that may be the best option for both our stampede days. Which one would be the best to park at, do you think? How quickly do they fill up? I am guessing it won't be a big deal on the parade/rodeo day, but may be a problem when we arrive later in the day the following day for the grandstand show.

Our friends live in the NW. I checked out the motels in the university area, but they either had bad reviews, didn't meet our requirements or were already booked. That probably would've been pretty convenient, but I am not too concerned - I drive everywhere here, so since I'll have my car, I won't mind driving there! I am mostly concerned with getting the kids back to the hotel as quickly as possible after the grandstand show - since it will be past 11pm.

Thanks again for your advice!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,161 posts
94 reviews
3. Re: Hotel During First Weekend of Stampede

Don't give up on availability just yet - if I recall correctly, some major hotels and hotel chains set aside blocks of rooms for group tours, but if no tour is booked, then they free those rooms up for reservations sometime in February or possibly late January.

Actually, parking may be a much bigger issue on parade day, as the downtown is closed to traffic (except for LRT) during the whole morning, from around 8 am to 1 pm. And I have had issues with finding a parking spot at an LRT lot on the NW line during Stampede week.

Edited: 05 January 2012, 03:37
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
4. Re: Hotel During First Weekend of Stampede

i don't know if you've checked this one http://www.5calgary.com/

it is definitly not for everyone. it is an older hotel and in need of an update. but, we had several rooms last year - two bedroom suites with a kitchen. we were all very comfortable. the suites were large, staff were great and the pool was nice. great location right downtown. we got free parking for a couple of nights but they may not apply this during the stampeed. i would stay there again but as i say, if you are looking for "new" furnishings, this is not the place for you but for what we got for the price, we were very happy.

Alberta
Level Contributor
52 posts
37 reviews
5. Re: Hotel During First Weekend of Stampede

I like the Port o Call. It's very conveniently located, it's close enough to transit and with kids the pool is a must. There are other hotels in the area, not sure if they have a pool of not but there are a bunch of other hotels along Barlow near there too that might work for you. There is a the Sheratan Cavalier and a Exec Royal Inn that I think are OK too, not sure of the price.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: Hotel During First Weekend of Stampede

The Port O' Call has a great pool for the kids, and I agree, it's very reasonably priced. I have friends with kids who always stay there when they come to town, and they really love it.

The Sheraton Cavalier does have an ok pool, not sure about the Exec. Royal Inn though. There is also a 4 Point Sheraton, a Sandman, a Hilton Garden Inn, a Holiday Inn Express and Greenwood Inn all withi the same area, close to Barlow Trail.

Edited: 25 January 2012, 03:42
7. Re: Hotel During First Weekend of Stampede

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2013, 15:47