We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary Passport Office: lineups?

Cranbrook, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Calgary Passport Office: lineups?

I have to drive about 4 hours tomorrow (July 12th 2011) to get to the Calgary passport office. When I last did this 4+ years ago the lineups were very long. I can handle a reasonably long lineup, but need to be sure that if I arrive late morning the lineup won't be so long that I get turned away. Does anyone have any idea how long the lineups at the Harry Hayes Building are likely to be?

I know that the Calgary South office is an alternative, but I need an express or urgent pick-up (travel in about 10 days) and for this the Passport Canada website recommends the Harry Hayes office. Apparently the Calgary South office will accept urgent applications but they have to be picked up at the Harry Hayes building. Can anyone verify that it is really no problem to apply for the urgent passport at Calgary South? I don't mind picking the passport up downtown.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,079 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary Passport Office: lineups?

You may find EastBC's experience from February helpful. It's on these two threads:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154913-i285-k42757…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154913-i285-k41797…

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary Passport Office: lineups?

While we were in Canada last summer we needed to get our passport renewed. We went to the south office on MacLeod trail. I picked up mine and my hubbys passport 4 days later at the Harry Hays building in downtown Calgary. Yes, I did pay a small fee for the "expedited service" but it was worth every dollar. I also filled out the online application before which made it really smooth when I got to the office. There is two different line ups. One is for people who did NOT fill out the online application and one is for the people who DID fill out the online application. By far, the people who did fill out the online application got served much, much faster. I think we were at the office for about 1 hour total.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,079 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary Passport Office: lineups?

Great tips, Nayarit08-- thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calgary Passport Office: lineups?

My son just got his passport renewed on an expedited basis for an additional $40 on top of the renewal fee two weeks ago. There is also an urgent basis (1 day) which costs more ($75, I think). Since he could wait 4 working days, they made him take the expedited.

He had to go to the Harry Hays building. The south office won't do expedited or urgent.

There is a place to get your passport photos taken in the Harry Hays.

He arrived at 11 am on a Friday with his paper application completed but not submitted online, but did not have to wait long at all. Then, again, it wasn't Stampede which I don't know if that would make a difference.

Cranbrook, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calgary Passport Office: lineups?

Thanks everyone, very helpful!

Cranbrook, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calgary Passport Office: lineups?

Just to wrap this up, we ended up at the downtown passport office today at 11:00 am. No lineups at all, and we were done in 15 minutes. We found parking easily, but not cheaply, at the Palliser hotel parkade from where it took us about 10 minutes to walk to the Harry Hayes building.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,079 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calgary Passport Office: lineups?

Thanks for sharing that info, MtSwansea!

8. Re: Calgary Passport Office: lineups?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 10:46