We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn Express downtown to Foothills Med cntr?

Boston
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Inn Express downtown to Foothills Med cntr?

HI, since the Hotel Alma was booked, I am now booked for next week at the Holiday Inn Express on 8 Ave SW starting Sunday night. How long of a trip will it be to drive to the Foothills Medical Center from there? Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,161 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn Express downtown to Foothills Med cntr?

If you're driving in off-peak hours, it should be about 15 mins. During rush hour, I'd double that just to be on the safe side; access to the Foothills can be awkward during busy times. And then add on another 15 minutes for parking for your first day, because parking can also be a challenge, especially when you're unfamiliar with the site. (Calgary Transit is seriously considering a ski-lift style gondola for commuters in & out of the FMC area - they say adding buses will only increase the congestion: cbc.ca/news/…calgary-gondola-lrt-service.html )

Here are a couple of different routes to take, on Google Maps:

via Memorial Drive & Parkdale Blvd - http://tinyurl.com/3csxabu

via Kensington Rd, 19th St W, Trans-Canada Hwy (aka 16th Ave N) - http://tinyurl.com/3f54c9e

Although on the map it looks like you might be able to connect from 11 Ave SW to Crowchild Tr northbound, that interchange will be messed up - and possibly closed - due to construction on the west leg of the LRT.

Edited: 21 June 2011, 02:36
Boston
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn Express downtown to Foothills Med cntr?

Thanks CW, I knew I could count on you!

calgary
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn Express downtown to Foothills Med cntr?

Being downtown will also get you closer to more pubs, restaurants for the evenings.

Boston
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn Express downtown to Foothills Med cntr?

Sounds good Cruiser which I will be doing but my friend at work who is from Calgary told me to be aware that the sidewalks "roll up" after 6Pm or so in the downtown area. No problem, I just need the Irish pubs!

5. Re: Holiday Inn Express downtown to Foothills Med cntr?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 15:47
Get answers to your questions about Calgary