We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV Rental Calgary - who should we use?

Cork
2 posts
Save Topic
RV Rental Calgary - who should we use?

Hi All, Looking to rent an RV in July for 12 days in Calgary but can't find a company that rents the RV's and books the campgrounds once a trip has been planned. Will I have to book the campgrounds myself? We will be flying in from Ireland so I need to make sure all is 100% with the company we book with....I was really looking forward to this holiday but is now turning out to be a nightmare to rent the RV...

Sad Irish Lady

Edited: 12 January 2011, 02:50
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,577 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: RV Rental Calgary - who should we use?

Very good feedback, edek! Thanks for posting.

I know that there are some more efficient diesel RVs coming on to the market in North America now (my neighbour just bought one), although I have yet to see any of them among the rental RVs I've seen on the roads so far. As you mentioned, being able to self-cater your own meals is one way of saving $$$.

It's a common misconception that touring by RV is a less expensive holiday than touring by rental car, staying in hotels and eating in restaurants. Years ago, my husband and I rented an RV and took a holiday with our kids and our dog, and discovered for ourselves that the costs are comparable. It is a different experience though, so in trying to decide between the two, what it really comes down is which type of holiday does a visitor want?

Regarding the deposit charge and refund, which did not go in your favour - this is nothing that Canadream has any control over, and indeed, they would not have profitted from it. It is the banks/credit card companies that set the exchange rates and they are the ones that got your $$$. Canadream took a deposit of $750 on your card, and refunded $750 to your card - there was no gain for them between the two, and actually, they would have also paid a percentage to the credit card company in merchant fees each time (typically 2 to 3%), so the bank also made money from them on these transactions.

I don't know where to find credit card exchange rates on the web, but if I look at the rates where I bank, there is an eight cent ($.08) difference between the buying and selling rates on one pound sterling. If I were to exchange $750 for pounds sterling, and then change that money back to Canadian dollars, I would lose about $37 in the exchange - plus there would be service fees on top of that. Of course, the rates could also change in the intervening period, and cost me even more. (Why is it that it never seems to go the other way??) http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/fx/rates.jsp

Nevertheless, I hope you enjoyed your holiday! Can we coax you into posting a "trip report" and telling us a bit more about it? :)

12. Re: RV Rental Calgary - who should we use?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 01:45