We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 months in Calgary - October and November

Brasil
Level Contributor
107 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
2 months in Calgary - October and November

I'm staying 2 months in Calgary for work reasons - October and November 2009.

Can anyone give me some tips on what to do in the city? Places to visit, nice places to go out at night, restaurants and also trips for the weekends.

And how about the weather ... is it too cold there? How cold? =)

Thank you!!!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,021 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 months in Calgary - October and November

I'll leave the city tips to those who know better than I do, but for weekends, it's a no-brainer - head to the mountains! The resort town of Banff, in Banff National Park (part of a UNESCO World Heritage site) is only 1.5 hour drive away.

For weather information, go to the Canadian government's weather service at www.weatheroffice.com - on the left you'll see a menu item for something like "historical weather", then choose "climate normals and averages" from the next page. From there, you can look up any location in Canada (choose Calgary, Alberta) and it will give you average temperatures as well as record highs and lows. November is getting into winter type weather - the ski resorts in the mountains usually start to open then.

This is the Calgary page:

http://tinyurl.com/2f7bae ... and November's average daily highs and lows are +3 and -9C, and record high & low are: +23 and -35C. So yes, it can be VERY cold then.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,890 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 months in Calgary - October and November

Welcome to the Calgary forum! You'll find a lot of helpful information in the TripAdvisor Traveler Articles (aka Inside Pages) for Calgary:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154913-s1/Calgary:Al…

You will also want to read this article on winter driving:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c55003/Canada…

Krp329 has already recommended Banff, which is an excellent choice for a daytrip from Calgary, and nobody would think poorly of you if you never went anywhere else. (Your stay also overlaps with the famed Banff Mountain Film and Book Festivals: banffcentre.ca/MountainCulture/… )

Other destinations include Kananaskis Country, which is a mountain recreation area between Calgary and Banff; Drumheller's Royall Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology, a fine museum featuring dinosaur paleontology and much more; Dinosaur Provincial Park near Brooks, Alberta, a UNESCO World Heritage Site; and Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump near Fort Macleod, an archeological site with a large interpretive center (also a UNESCO World Heritage site).

Within Calgary, you may wish to check out our many museums; the Glenbow Museum is the best and largest, with the highlight being the new Mavericks gallery on Alberta history and Albertans. The newly-expanded Military Museums may also interest you. And the new year-round portion of Heritage Park, featuring Gasoline Alley's look at cars in Alberta's history, is worth a look. The Calgary Zoo is also worth visiting.

In order to recommend restaurants and places to go out at night in Calgary, you will need to give us a few more details. Do you like to sample a wide variety of ethnic cuisine, or do you prefer pub food or classic cuisine? Do you enjoy live music (if so, what type?) or just a place to meet people? Do you like the performing arts (concerts, music, dance, theatre) or not? And so on :)

Calgary winters (and you are arriving at the end of fall, and leaving at the beginning of winter) can be mild or f-f-f-f-freezing; usually they are both, because we get the warm chinook winds, which can turn the weather from freezing cold day to quite warm (i.e. above freezing) in just a few hours. And then back we go into the cold weather again, after a few hours or a few days of chinook weather.

Please have a look at the Traveler Articles, and then feel free to come back with further questions.

Brasil
Level Contributor
107 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 months in Calgary - October and November

Krp and Country Wife.

Thanks a lot for your answers ... I'll take a look at the previous posts to find more info also.

Regarding the restaurants, I like almost all kinds of food, and since I'm staying in Calgary (and eating out) for two months I'll be able to go to lots of restaurants. So maybe some tips of cool places, some classic cuisine, any restaurant with regional food (do you have something typical from Calgary?), snack bars ... places I can't miss!

Going out at night... I really enjoy dancing and meeting new people. Also pubs and bars just to sit down and have a nice chatt. I hateeeee hip hop!! Other than that, I listen to everything.

Is there a website I can check the concerts and theater plays at Calgary?

Thanks again ... have a great weekend!!!

calgary
Level Contributor
400 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 months in Calgary - October and November

Peters Drive Inn for burgers onion rings and shakes.

Chicken On The Way for chicken fries and of course cornfritters.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,890 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 months in Calgary - October and November

The most "typical" Calgary specialty would be steaks; you might want to have a look at this TA Traveler Article on Calgary steak houses:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154913-c4120/Calgary…

In fact, you may want to have a look at the Traveler Articles in the Dining Scene section of this page on TripAdvisor:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154913-s1/Calgary:Al…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 months in Calgary - October and November

You an also head east and check out Drumheller and the Badlands on weekends.

Calgary
Level Contributor
100 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 months in Calgary - October and November

Hello Gicca,

I recommend you check out a couple of websites and publications to get a better flavour of the restaurant and night scene in Calgary.

The Calgary Arts Development Authority has a great website with listings of all the different arts/culture events taking place in the city. They serve as a hub for 150 arts organizations so it's definitely worth checking out. www.calgaryculture.com. The fall is a busy season for many arts groups so there should be shortage of plays, concerts, dance, art showings, etc.

For restaurants, check out reviews by John Gilchrist in the Calgary Herald in the Real Life Section (Sundays) or pick up a copy of one of his books. Also, check out reviews on www.opentable.com and www.martiniboys.com. They should give you a good overview. I'd also recommend picking up copies of Where Calgary Magazine and Avenue Magazine as they typically do some great profiles on restaurants.

Stephen Avenue and its surroundings have some great options (Catch, Centini, Teatro, Murriettas, Rush, Divino). You should also check out Beat Niq and Piq Niq if you like live music. Some of the best jazz in the city is performed at Beat Niq near the Hudson's Bay on 1st Street SW.

Stephen Avenue also has a couple of good pubs and lounges (James Joyce, Flames Central, Metropolitan Grill) which are popular with the office crowd.

17th Avenue and the Mission District (4th Street SW) have some great spots that are always busy Thu thru Sat. Check out some classics: Ship & Anchor, Bungalow, Mercury, Ming. 17th Avenue was the site of the Red Mile (a mile of bars that went bezerk when the Calgary Flames were in contention for the Stanley Cup a few years ago).

Also, recommend you pick up a copy of Fast Forward as it will also provide you with music listings, nightclub listings, etc.

Good points about the weather. Relative to Brazil, it's going to be quite chilly, particularly at night. Pack some warmer clothes.

In addition to Banff/Lake Louise, there will be lots of things to check out in Calgary on the weekends. Check out the Luge World Cup at Canada Olympic Park in November. There's also a fantastic rodeo at the Stampede in mid-October (should be a few Brazilian cowboys competing too). Good Western entertainment at the rodeo too. And lastly, Calgary hosts the Grey Cup in late November (this is the national championships for our professional football teams...North American football not soccer).

Hope you have a great time during your visit to Calgary in Oct/Nov.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 months in Calgary - October and November

Well, you said you like dancing and this is such a great way to meet great people. THese people are great instructors http://dancecanada.ca/

I don't know what Ranchmans is like any more as I haven't been there since 2003 when my daughter still lived in Calgary but they have dance lessons too. www.ranchmans.com

You could learn some good old 2-step to take back to Brazil! Definitley a Calgary dance!

9. Re: 2 months in Calgary - October and November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2010, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Calgary
Recent Conversations