We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
sault ste marie
1 post
Save Topic
canada or the us

we are leaving for calgary soon and we want to know what is the best threw the us or canada and the fastest if anyone has done this yet?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: canada or the us

I haven't done it, but everyone I know who has says though the US is best for two reasons. One the road is better, two the fuel is cheaper.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,798 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: canada or the us

From your location I've gone both the US and Canadian paths.

It's a straight shot west once you get to about Kenora, but that's a fair jaunt itself. On the US side you run into larger population centers.

If you elect to travel through the US, expect to have to prove you are really headed to Calgary. That cost me three hours at the boarder once. The drive through North Dakota was rather unexciting and I elected to angle up through Saskatchewan. The advantage of heading through the US is that you have several options for return to Canada.

Both routes are ultimately close enough so that it doesn;t really matter. You'd be on 17 or the TCH all the way through Canada, or several different roads in the US. They will all be about the same.

What does your gut say? Mine says US. You have a day's worth of forest either way you'd like to go. Since you want the faster way, we won't talk about hitting Glacier/Waterton on the way there.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: canada or the us

We've cut through Estevan Sask on our way from the Sault to Calgary. Many little places along the way in the States, sometimes cheaper eats too.

4. Re: canada or the us

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2010, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Calgary
Recent Conversations