We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wal-mart near calgary airport

Stewkley, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
21 reviews
Wal-mart near calgary airport

hi,

Does anyone know if there is a wal-mart or other big superstore near the airport in calgary. We are arriving for a 3 week trip and would like to get some provisions asap.

Alberta
Level Contributor
355 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Wal-mart near calgary airport

Largely, it depends on how comfortable you are navigating in a city you may be unfamiliar with and what your planned stops are in Calgary which would influence where I'd suggest.

Sunridge Mall would probably be the closest shopping mall district to the airport. Yet it may not be that convenient for your needs. There's a Real Canadian Superstore (3575 - 20 Ave NE) for groceries in the Sunridge area.

However, if you're making a bee-line for Banff you may just want to stop at the Beacon Hill Safeway (1818 Centre St NE)

It's just north on Centre Street and depending on the construction it may still provide convenience to your route.

If you're taking one of the other routes to exit Calgary you can find shopping areas on most of the major roads leading through the city. Check calgaryselect.com/Shopping/…Default.aspx for a list of shopping centres with convenient links to Google Maps.

Grocery store brands include Safeway, Co-op, Sobeys and Real Canadian Superstore. Costco is also available if you have a membership.

Ultimately, it'd probably benefit you to talk to the rental agent when you get your car and they'll assess your route and make suggestions for you too.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,165 posts
94 reviews
2. Re: Wal-mart near calgary airport

If you're thinking of getting groceries for your stay in the Banff area, then I would suggest going to the Bowness Safeway; it's the last major grocery store on the route to Banff, and it will be about 60 mins from there to Banff. It's at 5048 16 Avenue NW,; that puts it on the Trans-Canada Highway just west of the Home Road intersection.

If you're looking for more durable stuff, but you're still heading for Banff, then turn N off of 16th Ave at Shaganappi Tr NW to go to Market Mall (Zellers discount department store, The Bay full department store, and a zillion other shops & services) and Northland Village Shoppes (Wal-Mart, FutureShop electronics superstore, etc.)

Otherwise, Sunridge Mall, which has already been mentioned, is your best bet in the airport's vicinity.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Wal-mart near calgary airport

If you are heading to the Canmore / Banff / Lake Louise area as soon as you arrive in Calgary, I think it would make sense to wait till you reach Canmore and then stock up at the Sobey's supermarket there.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,611 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Wal-mart near calgary airport

If you're looking for a Walmart specifically, the most convenient one is probably on Country Hills Blvd NW.

Go north from the airport on Barlow Trail. to Country Hills Blvd. Turn left on Country Hills and drive for about 15km until you see the Walmart on your right. (It seems farther than that to me, but that's what Google maps says) It's just past the intersection of Stoney Trail, which is what you'll want to take to go down to Hwy 1, which will get you to Banff.

MAP: http://tinyurl.com/2orjzg

There is also a Sobey's grocery store next to that Walmart. I don't recommend Sunridge or Market Mall for this purpose. It's a little inconvenient to wander around all the different stores looking for specific items when you just want to get on the road.

There was a debate here recently about which route was the best to get across the city. They are ALL under construction at the moment, so I prefer to stick with Country Hills, as it was most recently the best route. And it takes you as close as possible to a Walmart.

Of course this all assumes you are heading to the mountains. The closest Walmart to the airport is at Deerfoot Mall (although outside the mall, so you don't have the issues as noted above). Take Airport Tr. to Deerfoot Trail and go south to the next exit (64th Ave). Go east on 64th Ave. There's a mall on your right hand side, the Walmart is south east of the mall. You could also stop in here if you were to take Judy's preferred route to Hwy 1 (Deerfoot Trail to Hwy 1).

MAP: http://tinyurl.com/2udamt

Stewkley, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Wal-mart near calgary airport

ok thanks for the info.

We're goign to Canmore and as we're staying for 3 weeks. we'd probably like to get a few cheap durable items as well as grocerys. (Cool box, cutlery, plates etc) so we can have food in the car/picnics instead of eating out every day. Would Sobey's in canmore be suitbale for this? As that seems like the best solution. Also does anyone have a link to the debate about the best route from the airport to Canmore/Banff?

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Wal-mart near calgary airport

Sorry, I don't know if Sobey's in Canmore would have a coolbox. But most supermarkets of that type do carry them. Often you can find them at gasoline (petrol) stations too.

I don't know what kind of cutlery and plates you had in mind. If you're thinking of the plastic variety, any supermarket (including Sobey's) usually carries that kind of stuff too.

The recent debate about the best way to exit Calgary for the mountains is here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154913-i285-k1241…

7. Re: Wal-mart near calgary airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 17:46
Get answers to your questions about Calgary