We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff, Lake louise, Jasper, Edmonton ... at Christmas

Greater Manchester...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Banff, Lake louise, Jasper, Edmonton ... at Christmas

Hi,

I am looking for advice on travelling in December. I am flying into Calgary the 16th December and our destination is Saskatoon on 23rd December (to stay with family for Christmas) via the places mentioned in the subject. I know around that time it is going to be snowy and the ice freeway is likely to be shut at short notice but what is the general advice on getting up to Jasper as that may determine our route/plan for the week?

I think I have picked the hotels I fancy on the selected dates but this is also determined by what places/activities are likely to be open, to determine where we stay for shorter/longer periods?

We have an SUV booked to hire so we can get (I hope, snow dependant) to see things.

Last thing, can you do day ski/snowboard hire in Banff?

All help will be greatly appreciated as you can only ask Google so much!

Greater Manchester...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Banff, Lake louise, Jasper, Edmonton ... at Christmas

Thank you so much for everything you have helped with. I was worried about asking the question as i felt a little silly, so much research you can do and clearly still get no further. You've helped me so much!

I just wanted us to see everywhere we could in the winter as I doubt we will travel to the Rockies this late in the year again. My apologies on the freeway/highway. I was getting over excited with the idea of driving up it.

To be honest, I'd rather stay in the Rockies the whole time as I'm a country girl and avoid cities as much as possible but whilst we are there I want to see them, although not spend too much time there. With the flights more difficult in winter to get from the UK to Saskatoon we might as well use the opportunity to see the different places.

The game is an evening game so looks like maybe an extra night in Banff is on the cards.

Those websites look fab, I think I might be checking those cameras throughout the next couple of months to see the weather change!

Thank you and have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.

I may have more question at a later date but will let you enjoy your weekend and take what you have given me so far and will try and figure something out!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,717 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Banff, Lake louise, Jasper, Edmonton ... at Christmas

You are very welcome. Hope you have a great time and feel free to ask away...

(My moms family came from Bolton. I love Manchester - its my second favourite place in the UK! )

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,742 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Banff, Lake louise, Jasper, Edmonton ... at Christmas

I can't see where anyone may have yet commented on problems with doing one-way rentals, whether Calgary to Edmonton, or even to Saskatoon. Have you investigated that and the amount a one-way drop off fee would be?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,101 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Banff, Lake louise, Jasper, Edmonton ... at Christmas

I haven't read a lot of this thread. But I do hope you are planning to fly from Edmonton to Saskatoon. But maybe your family members are from Alberta or Saskatchewan and have a lot of experience driving in a Canadian winter?

You should be able to get a one way rental car from Calgary to Edmonton with Canadian Affair, in particular their Avis option. Link is here: canadianaffair.com/holidays/…car-hire-oneway

Greater Manchester...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Banff, Lake louise, Jasper, Edmonton ... at Christmas

Hi thank you again, yes we have looked at the option of fly or drive, we have done the drive from Edmonton to Saskatoon before so know the roads that way. We have debated with the idea of one way drop off and the rental companies are quite accommodating for that so it's an option at the moment!

Once again thank you! Hotel booking is underway for When we arrive and jasper is being left out until we come back in September 2016 :)

16. Re: Banff, Lake louise, Jasper, Edmonton ... at Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2016, 09:47