We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When in the day to head up to Lake Louise?

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
When in the day to head up to Lake Louise?

Hi everyone,

We're visiting the Rockies in a couple of weeks. For five nights we will actually stay at Lake Louise (the actual lake), and I'm reading reports of how bad the traffic is on the road leading up to it. And I'm scared because we will have to go up this road, at the very least, five times. So I'm wondering when in the day would it the road clear on the way up to the Lake - 5PM, 7PM, etc. Just so we can plan our days in the park and try to avoid traffic on the way back to our lodge.

Thanks!

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,883 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When in the day to head up to Lake Louise?

By 4-5 pm, you should be fine going up the road. The core hours, when traffic is at its worst, are 10 am to 3 pm.

Edited: 03 August 2015, 22:07
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,396 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When in the day to head up to Lake Louise?

We stayed in Banff and LL mid July last year. We travelled around different times of the day a number of times. We never had an issue with traffic. We must have been extremely lucky. We did see the traffic to Moraine Lake at around 1.00 pm going in extremely backed up. We were driving out.

Edited: 04 August 2015, 02:29
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When in the day to head up to Lake Louise?

I stayed in deer lodge for three days last week. I didn't see any traffic jam.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,695 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When in the day to head up to Lake Louise?

There was a bit of press over the long weekend just past about the traffic woes in Banff townsite and the Lake Louise area. Parks Canada ran a shuttle on the Moraine Lake Road and barred private vehicles other than Moraine Lake Lodge guests or those with disabled permits (the shuttle is not accessible). Do bear in mind that the August long weekend is the absolute busiest time of the year in the Canadian Rockies national parks so the number of people is much higher than the usual peak season levels.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When in the day to head up to Lake Louise?

Thank you for all your comments! Very helpful.

George, how was your stay? Any important tips, maybe regarding food and supplies in the area?

Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When in the day to head up to Lake Louise?

It was a great trip. For dinner, we went to Outpost Pub and the restaurant at second floor in the village. The food is ok, and the price is also ok in Lake Louise. We had our breakfast and grabbed something for lunch from both Trailhead Café and Laggan Bakery. There is a small supermarket there. Somebody recommened the Explorer Lounge in Lake Louise INN was closed.

7. Re: When in the day to head up to Lake Louise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2016, 09:47