We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do i need winter tires to drive from calgary to lake louise

Bkk
2 posts
Save Topic
Do i need winter tires to drive from calgary to lake louise

my plan is 6 days in whistler for snowboarding.

3 days in vancouver then fly to calgary.

I will be there around 12 march.hire car at calgary airport.

then drive to lake louise and spend 3 days there before back to lax.

what do u think? i not familiar with winter driving. or i should extend the day in whistler and van?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,530 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do i need winter tires to drive from calgary to lake louise

Hi Punnapob;

Driving in the winter takes genuine experience, and through the Rockies, even more so. Without considerable winter driving experience I would NOT suggest starting to learn how to drive in winter conditions, in an unfamiliar rental car, in the Rocky Mountains !

I would suggest reading the Traveler Article "Winter Driving in Canada", here on TA.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c55003/Canada…

Best Regards

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,404 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do i need winter tires to drive from calgary to lake louise

All of what RescueTeam says above is true. However, the highway from Calgary to Lake Louise is excellent - it' sa four-lane divided highway almost the entire length, and it is a very high priority for winter snow removal. So, as long as you are travelling in good winter driving conditions (roads bare & dry, no recent snowfall, good forecast) you don't have too much to worry about. However, I wouldn't recommend that you drive if the driving conditions are not good or if there is snow forecast for when you'll be on the road.

There are two shuttle services that will take you directly from the airport to Lake Louise:

Banff Airporter: www.banffairporter.com

Brewster: www.brewstertransportation.com/Shuttles

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do i need winter tires to drive from calgary to lake louise

Hi Punnapob and welcome to the forums. Here in the town of Banff - we're unique. We've got 3 different ski hills surrounding town and there's a shuttle bus to get you where you are going. So, if you're here to ski - there's no need to rent a car. While it's usually a straight forward drive - winter can complicate things overnight. So, I'd stick with public transportation. There's shuttle service from Calgary Airport-YYC to Banff daily. It's relaxing and the way to go.

Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do i need winter tires to drive from calgary to lake louise

Yes, you do need winter tires to drive from Calgary to Lake Louise in the winter - especially since you are new to winter driving. You need every advantage you can get to ensure your survival.

Having said that, the preceding posters have excellent advice about how to avoid having to drive a car altogether.

Bkk
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do i need winter tires to drive from calgary to lake louise

Thanks everyone. After reading. I found that i should go to lake louise around june/july instead. Due to someplace and some road will closed in winter season. Especially moriane lake that i saw on desktop screen. So i managed to stay at whistler 8 nights and van 4 nights. Still can play ski in whistler in march? Any rental car to drive from calgary and return in vancouver for my june/july trip?

Thanks again and sorry for poor english.

6. Re: Do i need winter tires to drive from calgary to lake louise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2013, 14:54