We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Texas
Level Contributor
287 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

First thank you to all the forum members who helped with my questions. We spent 5 days/6nights in the Lake Louise/Banff area. We broke our trip down 4 nights at Moraine Lake Lodge and 2 nights at Banff Springs. Both places were great in different ways and we really enjoyed both of them.

Highlights of the trip were the hike to the Lk. Agnes teahouse and Little Beehive and also our drive on the Icefields Pkwy. The Lk. Agnes/Little Beehive hike took us 4 hrs. roundtrip with a nice break for lunch (soup,tea) at the teahouse. The drive on the Parkway was a 7 hr. roundtrip with a break for lunch at the Icefields Center. We also went to Takakkawaw Falls, Natural Bridge and Emerald Lake.

We enjoyed good meals at Moraine Lake Lodge, Maple Leaf(Banff) and Bow Valley Grill (Banff Springs). I wrote separate reviews of the hotels. Also ate at LL Lakeview Lounge and the LL Railway (i think that is the name). Both were ok.

We stopped for wine/snacks in Canmore as a forum member suggested and it worked out great. I should have looked into restaurants in Canmore because we ended up eating crappy sandwiches in the Safeway parking lot which I wouldn't recommend! It was late so we just needed food at that point and still needed to get to Moraine Lake.

We enjoyed good weather overall and the area was more beautiful than I imagined. We saw alot of wildlife, pretty much everything in the park brochure they give you entering. We really only missed seeing an elk (seen them before) and a black bear. We saw just about everything else including a couple of moose. Lots of construction going on the hwy. but luckily we didn't encounter any delays. We met tourist from all over the world and I think Canadians in general are very friendly and helpful.

Hope to return someday!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,443 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Glad to hear you enjoyed your vacation, and thank you for posting a trip report!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,405 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Thanks so much for the trip report - feedback like yours is pure gold, whether the trip was good or bad. Of course, it's much nicer when it's good :)

I think the restaurant you ate at in Lake Louise was most likely the Lake Louise Station, which is in the old railway station and a railway dining car: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g154912-d7…

I've added it to the TripAdvisor Traveller Article which lists all the Trip Reports; if you'd rather not have it there, or if you want to add some comments, it's a wiki so you (or any other TA member) can edit it:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c123791/Canad…

Texas
Level Contributor
287 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Your right it was Lake Louise Station!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Welcome home and thank you for the trip report. Was the trail to the teahouse crowded?

Texas
Level Contributor
287 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Trail was not crowded. I can't remember what time we started but there were 2 more couples hiking with us when we started and one turned back fairly quickly (they didn't know where they were heading). When we got to the teahouse there were more people but we didn't have any trouble getting a table (uncovered). At the beehive we had the place to ourselves. On the way down we took the different trail and didn't see anyone until we intersected with Lake Agnes trail and passed several people then. Looked like more people started later in the day. Hope this helps.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

Thanks so much for your response. I hope our luck will be as good as yours. The last time I did that trail it was very crowded, maybe the early start does the trick!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,443 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

Time of year makes a big difference too, cmcfong - June is still "shoulder" season, so fewer visitors, and the weather can be "iffy" - cool and rainy - which discourages some hikers. But as you say, an early start probably makes the most difference - we hiked to both tea houses one day in mid-June last year and didn't get an early start; it was a cold and rainy day and the tea houses were jam-packed with people and the trails quite busy too.

8. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2010, 11:46