We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairmont at Christmas - Chateau Lake Louise or Banff Springs

3 posts
Save Topic
Fairmont at Christmas - Chateau Lake Louise or Banff Springs

We also are looking at Christmas in the Canadian Rockies for a family ski trip but I can't decide between Lake Louise or Banff Springs - I've been to both in the summer but never in the winter and no one in my family has been to either. Banff Springs Hotel is less expensive by several hundred dollars per night however, I don't recall it being quite as majestic and I'm trying to remember (been 30 years) if there are many places to eat outside of Chateau LL where I remember a town outside of Banff Springs Hotel where we could eat a pizza. Thoughts and suggestions?

3 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,314 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairmont at Christmas - Chateau Lake Louise or Banff Springs

There are dozens of restaurants in the Banff townsite. Lake Louise village has less than a dozen.

For views, the Chateau Lake Louise can't be beat.

Closest skiing to Banff is Mt Norquay (5 mins) and Sunshine Village (20 mins). Skiing Louise is just 5 mins from the Chateau.

Fairmont Banff SpringsBanff Springs is pretty majestic, IMO; it's also an official national historic site.

historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairmont at Christmas - Chateau Lake Louise or Banff Springs

Hey. If you are worried about the price, I recommend Banff Springs for a numerous reasons.

There is a village. The Christmas village atmosphere in the mountains is a must. Lake Louis does not have something like this. There are restaurants and ski rentals that you can actually pick up in the village.

Also, the sulfur mountain above Banff is a fabulous and fun hike. The view up there is breath taking. You could pack a lunch and head up and spend the whole day exploring the peaks and the view. If i am correct, the gondala ride down is free in the winter, so you can enjoy the ride down after a day of fun on the hills.

Next, if you really want to visit 'LL, you can drive by and just take pictures and enjoy the lake and such.

If you are with family, and you do not know what they want to do, Banff is the best choice.

If you got questions about Banff or 'LL, I went during the winter really recently and I am happy to help.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairmont at Christmas - Chateau Lake Louise or Banff Springs

Another vote for Banff Springs. More to do for the family, and their pool is MUCH MUCH better then Chateau Lake Louise. I much prefer skiing in Lake Louise, and really, it's less then 45 minutes away, so no big. Be sure to do a day trip to the Chateau, but I feel that is all that is needed.

Reply to: Fairmont at Christmas - Chateau Lake Louise or Banff Springs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lake Louise