We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary to Banff to Glacier Nat'l Park in US

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
74 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Calgary to Banff to Glacier Nat'l Park in US

Planning a trip July 21-30, 2017. Has anyone found a cheap, convenient way to get from Banff/Calgary to Kalispell, MT West side of US Glacier Nat'l park? I would drive; however, I have not located a company that allows one way rental. Thanks for the help.

5 replies to this topic
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,019 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary to Banff to Glacier Nat'l Park in US

This has been an ongoing question here in the forums. I believe there was someone, last year, who found a way to do this via shuttle buses, although I have no idea about "cheap" or "convenient". I tried a forum search to find that information, and could not, but hopefully someone else has saved a link and will post it for you.

I did find this thread, in which a poster said he was able to arrange a one-way rental from a Budget car rental location in Calgary (see post 10). It's from a year and a half ago, but you could check to see if it is still possible (would suggest contacting the car rental office directly, not via their nation-wide toll-free line or online):

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g184841…

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary to Banff to Glacier Nat'l Park in US

I've never heard of any shuttles from the west side of GNP. There is a summer shuttle for hikers that runs from the east side of GNP to Waterton - i.e. for hikers who are backpacking one way and need to get back to their car. I think it only runs once per day and would only work if you aren't going to have any issues at the border.

Interesting that someone managed to find a one way rental. That way nearly two years ago, so I'd be skeptical that would still be possible. No other poster has reported finding any way to do such a rental.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,192 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary to Banff to Glacier Nat'l Park in US

+good luck finding suitable accommodation in Banff for 2017. I would plan that one for 2018.

the only way to do those 3-4 parks is to do a loop. Calgary to Whitefish is a standard one day trip when going skiing for a long weekend.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,139 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calgary to Banff to Glacier Nat'l Park in US

a USA bus can't pick up psgrs in Canada and vice versa so this arrangement is difficult. I did a tour and we had a US Bus leave us in Waterton but then had to have a Cdn bus pick us up to take us to Banff. One poster rented a u haul truck and left it in Kallispell as that is all they could find.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
74 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calgary to Banff to Glacier Nat'l Park in US

U-Haul? Wasn't that clever. Thanks for the post. I will let everyone know if I find the elusive one way rental car.

Reply to: Calgary to Banff to Glacier Nat'l Park in US
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted