We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Louise in Early October

1 post
Save Topic
Lake Louise in Early October

Hi all, We are planning a trip to visit Lake Louise, Banff and Jasper first week of October. Will most things still be open then and will we be able to hike? We have two small kids that will be coming. Any recommendations for lodging in Lake Louise? We were looking at Emerald Lake Lodge but seems to have mixed reviews. This is our first trip to Canada, any guidance is greatly appreciated!

8 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,208 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Louise in Early October

Emerald Lake Lodge is not in Lake Louise - it's across the provincial border in British Columbia ... about 30 minutes west.

https://goo.gl/maps/r2CtAtjowz82

Also note the second weekend in October ( October 7-9) is Thanksgiving weekend in Canada, and the traditional end to many tourism activities.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
6,192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Louise in Early October

My experiences with Emerald Lake Lodge have been quite positive. I think most of the mixed reviews tend to be related to people who don't do enough research to understand the setting/style of Emerald Lake Lodge. It's a stunning setting, but it is "off the grid", so it's more lodge style luxury than big city hotel style luxury. The location means that sometimes repairs can take a bit longer and the power can occasionally go out (there are generator backups). The rooms are not opulently furnished, but cozy, service is good and food excellent.

Whether the lodge is right for you is a different story. Most of the rooms are not huge - I think they would allow one kid and two adults in most rooms. Two kids would be tight. The area around the lodge does offer all sorts of activities to keep kids' occupied - hiking, canoe rides, exploring nature etc. But on a rainy day, you're looking all the way to Banff or Golden for any real indoor activity options. And at least to Lake Louise for other dining options or any shopping (Field has one restaurant and one cafe, but the restaurant though excellent is tiny and does not accept reservations in the summer.). You're also adding 30+ minutes of driving time to most attractions - the guest lot for Emerald Lake Lodge is remote, so you have to take a shuttle to/from the parking lot. Then 10-15 minutes back down the road to the TransCanada, onwards to wherever you are going.

As to hiking - weather at that time of the year is notoriously hard to predict, but most likely you should have some very nice hiking options. Certainly any trails you'd likely be taking little kids would be OK, though mornings can be chilly. That said, you have to be prepared for whatever Mother Nature throws your way. The last two years, we've had early snow dumps - this year over Thanksgiving, it snowed all the way down to lake level at Emerald Lake Lodge.

As noted, October 7-9 is Thanksgiving weekend here, so not only will seasonal roads/attractions shut after the 9th, you also need to make any bookings for that weekend as far in advance in possible. It's a popular weekend for long weekend holidays here - places like Emerald Lake Lodge are often quite full.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,035 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Louise in Early October

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums!

Unless there are exceptional circumstances, all the seasonal roads and attractions are open through to the end of our Thanksgiving weekend.

It's quite normal for higher elevation hikes to have some snow at times in September, and by early October, with the daytime melt and overnight freeze cycle, some trails can be icy and slick in places. But there have also been years when we've had early September snow, and then lovely warm weather afterwards, and everything has dried up and optimal hiking conditions have lasted into October, even to Thanksgiving weekend on those higher elevation trails. It's impossible to predict in advance.

There are plenty of trails at lower elevations that are hike-able all through the fall, even into November many years.

One thing to keep in mind is that even in full summer, at higher elevations the weather can turn nasty and cold - sleet, hail, snow - anytime. I keep light gloves and a warm hat in my hiking pack all summer long, and use them regularly. With fall hiking, being properly prepared is an absolute must ... you can still enjoy your day out on the trail, even if it's blowing and snowing, as long as you are properly dressed.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Louise in Early October

I'm planning a trip at the same time and I've found that most I want to do closes on the 9th of October which leaves us fitting in Whistler and Lake Louise/Banff from the 5th-9th... Do some research for places you want to go and email/call to confirm opening hours while you're in the planning stage so you can change plans if you need to.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,936 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Louise in Early October

Bali,

Drop Whistler and spend the extra time in the Rockies. It would be very worthwhile considering that.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Louise in Early October

We are also planning for October this year and have already noticed some accommodation is booked out or closed at this time. We are planning 2 nights Jasper, 2 nights Lake Louise and 3 nights Banff. Does that sound like a good use of time?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Louise in Early October

We were in the area the week before Thanksgiving last year. The only thing we found to be closed was the Lake O'Hara shuttle.

Everywhere was busier than we expected. Driving out of Calgary the previous Sunday, with heavy traffic coming the other way, we rather thought that all the weekenders were going back home and we'd have the place to ourselves. Not at all! Whatever you decide, I'd be getting accommodation booked soon, because it could be even busier this year.

Bay Roberts, Canada
Level Contributor
790 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Louise in Early October

Bindh it's best to start your own question in a new thread. That way you will receive answers to your particular question. Click on the "ask a question" button on the bottom of this page. Not on your mobile.

Reply to: Lake Louise in Early October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted