We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Review:Banff/LakeLouise/HorsebackRiding/Stampede/Rafting!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
52 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
My Review:Banff/LakeLouise/HorsebackRiding/Stampede/Rafting!

Our father/daughter trip to Canada was one of the most memorable trips I've ever taken in my life. We stayed at Copperstone Resort in Dead Man's Flats/Canmore area. We LOVED it. Because it was my dad and I, we needed separate rooms/bathrooms, and I found a fantastic rate on a travel website. We had 2 wonderful/plush rooms, 2 bath and tons of living space and a kitchen. I highly recommend getting a place with a kitchen to eat breakfast/make a sack lunch and save your money for dinners and activities. We thought the location was kind of isolated, but within 10-15 minutes of great things, and it was perfectly centrally located for our horseback riding day and the Calgary Stampede to the east, and Banff/Lake Louise/Rafting in Yoho to the west.

RAFTING- with Alpine Rafting- great guides, fun rapids, nice equipment, good rates. Bring bug spray and sunscreen for your face. Also, they charge for a picture CD, and since we didn't want our nice camera wet, we left it in our car. I'd buy a throw away water/film camera and take it with you! Wish we had.

HORSEBACK RIDING- Moose Mountain Adventures- horseback riding for 8 hours. It was the highlight of our entire trip. Neil, the owner and our guide... was perfect. So kind. It was worth every penny. We saw wild horses! Deer, mountain goats... the best views ever. We had so much fun. Man our butts were sore the next day though! Ha. Neil and his son made us a great lunch grilling on stones up in the mountains. It was so so so so much fun. I felt like we were just blazing a trail, rather than some of the other companies that take you on a popular loop path that is commercial and just for the money. Our ride was everything I could have hoped for. Truly. Oh, and on our drive back to Canmore that evening, we saw a grizzly bear! :)

LAKE LOUISE- One of the most breathtakingly beautiful places I've ever witnessed. YOU MUST climb to the Lake Agnes tea house. So worth it. My dad and I loved it. But it is not easy. Not too hard either, but don't expect a breezy hike. Ha ha. Also, our dinner in the Lake Louise station car was the best meal all week. Worth every penny. We ate in the train car. Must do it.

CALGARY STAMPEDE- we thought it was a great day. A little more like a fair than a rodeo in our opinion... it had tons and tons of theme park rides and carnival games. ha. But we loved the rodeo itself, and the agriculture exhibits. I loved learning about meat/hormones/milk/eggs/ etc... it was fun. We bought cheap seats for the rodeo and they were great. Balcony, but you could see and hear everything.

Anyways, this trip was very very very planned. I am a devout trip planner and I wanted this trip (as a gift to my dad) to go smoothly and have lots of fun memories... and it did. We genuinely became huge fans of Canada. No garbage or litter anywhere... and the people were so very kind. Made me want duel citizenship! Ha ha ha.

Email me with any questions or details. :)

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,174 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Review:Banff/LakeLouise/HorsebackRiding/Stampede/Rafting!

Thanks for posting your trip report - it's so nice to hear about your holiday here in the Rockies, and great to hear that you had a good time!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Review:Banff/LakeLouise/HorsebackRiding/Stampede/Rafting!

Thanks for the trip report, MissPlanner! I would have responded sooner, but I was busy writing my own too-lengthy trip report about the Stampede. :-)

I'll add your trip report to the Canadian Rockies trip reports compiled here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c123791/Canad…

If you don't want it listed, or I made a mistake, just change it; it is a wiki, so any TA member can edit it.

Edited: 17 July 2010, 20:39
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Review:Banff/LakeLouise/HorsebackRiding/Stampede/Rafting!

Hi MissPlanner (love the User Name, BTW)

Great TripReport thanks for sharing... definitely sounds like you and your Dad had a fantastic time... a memory you'll both have for ever (savour that).

Your adventures were so varied (love the details) and I think this is the first Report I've read with good info about the Horseback Riding Tours... so that will no doubt help out other Travellers considering those.

Thanks again,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

4. Re: My Review:Banff/LakeLouise/HorsebackRiding/Stampede/Rafting!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2011, 11:58