We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff Itenerary (lake louise area)

5 posts
Save Topic
Banff Itenerary (lake louise area)

Hi everyone,

I will be traveling to Banff with some friends of mine from university in the next few weeks, and was wondering if anyone could take a look at some hikes we picked out. We are all experienced hikers, and in good shape, so we should be fine with any day hikes under 25km, Here is what I was thinking in terms of hiking. We are staying at the Lake Louise tent campground for the first nights.

Day 1: Johnston canyon early (avoid crowds) afternoon open

Day 2: Iceline trail, Yoho

Day 3: Plain of six glaciers, kayaking in the afternoon?

Day 4: Sentinal pass, Mt Temple weather permitting

Day 5: Helen lake to cirque peak

Backpacking: Mt. Assiniboine via Marvel lake and Wonder pass (spending night at mavel lake on the way in and out)

Three days planned in Mt. Assiniboine area

Day 1: Nub peak and lakes

Day 2: Windy ridge

Day 3: open, looking for suggestions

If anyone has any other rewarding hikes or general advice, I would love to hear it!

Thanks for the help!

Thomas

4 replies to this topic
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,745 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banff Itenerary (lake louise area)

Day 4 - I notice you have mentioned Mt. Temple, not sure if this means you are interested in the scrambling route up to the summit or just noting that Sentinel Pass is adjacent to Mt. Temple. If you are contemplating the scramble route, it's not normally in condition until later in the summer, and I would recommend checking with the Parks Canada trail office staff in Lake Louise. Given the late spring we've had, I would imagine there is still a lot of snow on the route and it would probably currently only be recommended if you have mountaineering equipment (i.e. crampons and an ice axe).

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
6,705 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banff Itenerary (lake louise area)

I think I've heard of people scrambling Temple this year without any real issues until you quite close to the top. But those are folks with mountaineering experience and who know the local conditions. So I second the suggestion of checking with Parks. They also have a good brochure that shows the scramble route.

Usually it's fine to go by the end of July as long as you are cautious and assess conditions/weather. The top is steep, and a fall can be fatal. So you need to make sure you are comfortable going up and down. Also, there is usually a huge cornice at the top, so exercise a LOT of caution if you are walking on snow at the very top. Usually it's all unstable cornice past the summit pole.

5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Banff Itenerary (lake louise area)

Thanks for the responses!

I will make sure to take a look at the scrambling route brochure, and to check on the trail conditions before heading out

I was considering a scramble up to the top of Mt Temple, but it was very condition dependent. If there is snow/ice on the route I fully intend on turning around and heading back down.

Are the other selected hikes regarded as excellent hikes?

Also still looking for a third hike in the Mt Assiniboine area if anyone knows of something

Woodstock, Illinois
Level Contributor
423 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banff Itenerary (lake louise area)

Not familiar with Assiniboine, but definitely agree with Day 2, 3, and 5. Yes, they are considered excellent hikes. The Iceline is our favorite. I'm not a big fan of Johnston Canyon, but it is different to walk in there. I would rather do something like Bow Glacier falls and get the scenery. It's an easy hike, good for warmup, but a beauty spot. Can also do that in a few hours, so still leaves the pm free. Or, if you guys have the energy, do Johnston early as you mentioned and shlep out to the Icefields Parkway and hit Bow Glacier. You'd get a huge amount of scenery that day, both walking and driving.

Agree with Sentinal Pass being 'iffy'. But the trail up there is so scenic, I wouldn't worry about the last part.

Reply to: Banff Itenerary (lake louise area)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted