We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Sugestions for flatlanders - start with?

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Hiking Sugestions for flatlanders - start with?

Hi All,

4 of us will be visiting Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper next summer. We will begin our trip in Banff or Canmore, still trying to decide on lodging. 2 of us are from Kansas and 2 of us are from Florida. What would be some good hikes to start with, get our mountain legs? I want to start off gradual and build up over the two week adventure. A few years ago we did the Grinnell Glacier hike at GNP and my knees really struggled coming down and I was really sore for a day or two.

Also, my husband and I don't work out and are easy to moderate hikers. My sister and her husband work out and enjoy more challenging hikes. Any suggestions of areas where each couple could enjoy their type of hike and the 4 of us could be in the same area at the same time as we are traveling and staying together?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mary

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Canmore
Canmore
Kananaskis Country, Canada
4 replies to this topic
Woodstock, Illinois
Level Contributor
468 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Sugestions for flatlanders - start with?

I could suggest hikes in all the areas. We are flatlanders too, in Chicago area, but go hiking up in Canadian Rockies about every 4 years. May I suggest you purchase a hiking book, ahead of time. My favorite book, that has been in print for over 30 years is "The Canadian Rockies Trail Guide" by Patton and Robinson.

The book has really detailed descriptions of trails along with mileage and elevation gains and loss. There are trails that have, as wife and I call it, 'maximum scenery for minimum effort'. We do the tough hikes too.

For LL, the absolute must is Plain of the Six Glaciers. On the Icefields Parkway, Bow Glacier falls and Helen Lake. For Jasper, Cavell Meadows going up over Angel Glacier. These are all 'moderate' trails with more scenery than you can believe, as a starter. For a more difficult hike, but our favorite, the Iceline Trail in Yoho National Park (close to Lake Louise). You ger above treeline on that and walk next to the glacier.

Edited: 10 July 2017, 02:11
Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Jasper
Jasper
Angel Glacier
Angel Glacier
90 Reviews
Yoho National Park
Yoho National Park
390 Reviews
Field, Canada
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Sugestions for flatlanders - start with?

Canadian rockies trailguide is excellant

Lake Agnes trail from lake louise is great for all of you, the more ambitious couple can carry on to big beehive and even circle back through plain of six glaciers, the extended hike is a very full day so start early

Mentioned in this post
Lake Agnes
Lake Agnes
336 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking Sugestions for flatlanders - start with?

Johnston Canyon to the upper falls would be a perfect first hike. Actually even calling it a "hike" is a bit of a stretch since most of it is on a paved surface, but there is a little bit of a climb. I think it's a great choice to get the legs and lungs going! Just get there as early as possible to avoid the hordes.

Mentioned in this post
Johnston Canyon
Johnston Canyon
1,659 Reviews
Banff National Park, Canada
Overland Park...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking Sugestions for flatlanders - start with?

These are great suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to share all of your ideas Retiredtripper, Terry E and Seussnelson. I greatly appreciate it!!!!

Reply to: Hiking Sugestions for flatlanders - start with?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted