We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservations, Permits, Things We Need To Do In Advance

Burlington...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Reservations, Permits, Things We Need To Do In Advance

Hello,

My family and I are going to Banff in September and I would like to know if there is anything I should be doing at this point in advance, ie any reservations for things, hiking or parking permits, other things we should book early? Our goal is to do a lot of hiking and sightseeing with an almost-2-year old (will be carrying her in a backpack). We are adventurous and in good shape but won't be doing anything crazy due to the child.

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
6 replies to this topic
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservations, Permits, Things We Need To Do In Advance

First what kind of accomodation are you looking for? Hotel? Or Camping? If Camping it can be pretty chilly over night, down to or below freezing is the norm. But the daytime will warm to the high teens.

Admission to our National Parks is free this year because it's our 150th Anniversary. But that also means there will be increased numbers of visitors.

Record breaking numbers are expected.

The first thing you need to do is sort out accomodation. Staying in Canmore is a viable option to Banff if you can not find anything at this late date that us affordable. If you are looking at Jasper Hinton is not a good alternative.

Once you have accomodation sorted out we can help with the rest.

Mentioned in this post
Canmore
Canmore
Kananaskis Country, Canada
Banff
Banff
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Hinton
Hinton
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,945 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservations, Permits, Things We Need To Do In Advance

Do you have your accommodations lined up already? If not, do that NOW.

There are no hiking trails in Banff that require permits or reservations. Some do require that you hike in a tight group of four due to bear activity (e.g. Moraine Lake area trails, some others as designated by Parks Canada depending on the bears).

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Moraine Lake
Moraine Lake
4,536 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Burlington...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservations, Permits, Things We Need To Do In Advance

I already have accommodations. I was referring to reservations for activities, tours, etc, or hiking permits. We are not big tour people but if there are any really good recommended ones we may be interested.

Calgary. Alberta
Level Contributor
215 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reservations, Permits, Things We Need To Do In Advance

Not really...you don't need any permits to hike and for most attractions you can just book when you get there, or show up. They're not so busy that you have to buy tickets 2 months in advance. The only thing I can think of that you might want to book in advance is Via Ferrata at Mt. Norquay, which is super cool, but you'd need to find someone to watch your kid while you did it. So that might be off your list anyway...

Mentioned in this post
Via Ferrata
Via Ferrata
314 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Mt. Norquay
Mt. Norquay
363 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reservations, Permits, Things We Need To Do In Advance

The only thing I recommend is to ensure your accommodations are booked ASAP. Otherwise, you can book nearly everything while you're in Banff for any attractions. With an under two-year-old (that you can carry), you can actual tackle way more of a hike than if you needed them to walk on their own! There is actually so much you can do if you are prepared with layers, hats, sunblock, food and water. I found it way easier to hike with an infant than with a 3-4 year old...

Also, be sure to check out Johnson Lake - the kid will love it. :)

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Enfield, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reservations, Permits, Things We Need To Do In Advance

Did you apply for your Discover Parks Canada free admission pass for 2017? That will get you into national parks and sites. It's free for 2017 in celebration of 150 years of Canada's Confederation.- www.parkscanada.gc.ca.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Reply to: Reservations, Permits, Things We Need To Do In Advance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted