We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta kananaskis Hotel

Chandler, AZ
Level Contributor
656 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Delta kananaskis Hotel

My brother and I are looking to do a last minute impromptu vacation for 4 nights Checking in August 16th. The only available Marriott hotel using points is the Delta Kananaskis. I realize it is kind of far from Banff National Park but were able to stay for completely free .Is it still worth it to visit Bannf

or should I wait until next summer when the Delta Banff hotel will have availability using points?

10 replies to this topic
1. Re: Delta kananaskis Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 July 2017, 17:30

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta kananaskis Hotel

And, on a more helpful note, you ARE in the Rockies, in an additional mountainous wilderness area with great hikes, lakes and scenery.

I'd say yes, just plan on the 1 hour return drive for the Banff visits .... but you'll also love Kananaskis.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta kananaskis Hotel

Don't waste your time with Banff.

Go the other direction: Kananaskis Lakes, Highwood Pass. Bring boots and a camera. You won't be disappointed.

Kananaskis is our secret playground. We've let you in on the secret, but ssshh.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta kananaskis Hotel

Agreed with Viajero...us locals AVOID Banff, and dip into Kananaskis for true hikes where each trail you "might" bump into a few other hikers. With a little bit of research, the hikes are amazing...some of the best upper valley glacial lakes around.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,213 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delta kananaskis Hotel

I'm not avoiding Banff just yet. But the hour of driving from the Delta Kananaskis to Banff is in a whole different league from the hour of driving we had from our Surrey campground to downtown Vancouver attractions.

Edited: 14 July 2017, 19:00
Chandler, AZ
Level Contributor
656 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delta kananaskis Hotel

Thank you everyone for all your great information. Are there any easy hikes in the area in which we can see beautiful scenery and have a chance of spotting some elk or moose? I'm trying to decide whether I should go here or Kalispell Montana and glacier National Park. But I'm taking my wife to glacier National Park in September so I would prefer to do this trip with my brother to a different beautiful location.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delta kananaskis Hotel

Those two places I mentioned above would qualify as easy-but-beautiful. Highwood Pass is high altitude and you're in alpine meadows right from the parking lot. A good trail wanders through the meadows from there. And a walk around Upper Kananaskis Lake would be mostly level yet surrounded by big scenery.

You could make an easy day of either, or a long day of hitting both. Either is around 30 minutes south of your hotel.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
594 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delta kananaskis Hotel

There is absolutely no reason why you still couldn't "do" a day trip or two Banff & Louise and even Yoho from K-County. You go knowing it's an hour away and as long as the drive doesn't bother you, and you have the ability to make adjustments for the time factor into your plans, why not? Kananskis is beautiful and staying there you'll get to see the Rockies from a number of perspectives.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,458 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delta kananaskis Hotel

With just four days, I would stay in Kananaskis and save Banff and Yoho for another trip. There is so much to see and do in Kananaskis that it seems a shame to spend your time in a car driving to the more famous sights in Banff. Here's a link to descriptions of several great hikes in Kananaskis ... https://10hikes.com/canada/canmore-hikes/…

And here's another hikingwithbarry.com/2013/04/23/10-more-great…

I found them by Googling "hiking in Kananaskis".

Edited: 14 July 2017, 23:10
Chandler, AZ
Level Contributor
656 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delta kananaskis Hotel

Banff andf Staed.... Thank you

Reply to: Delta kananaskis Hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted