We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers

Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Topic
First Timers

Hello,

Any help / advise would be greatly appreciated, I seem to have been reading too many articles etc and getting myself bogged down.

Myself and boyfriend will be visiting Banff during a 3 week trip at the beginning of October 2017. We will have approx 9 days in the area and want to see and do as much as possible.

We haven't fully decided whether to do the RV thing or rental car and hotels - RV would have been our first choice but a bit worried about cold weather.

Thanks for your help / suggestions :)

5 replies to this topic
England, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timers

I would try and fit Moraine lake in as early as possible , i think the road will close early October.

It will be worth checking what roads are accessible especially after Thanksgiving.

Munich
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timers

For 9 days a RV is not the best choise. A lot of camprounds close down in september. Renting a car is much more usefull.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timers

For 9 days an RV is not cost effective, very expensive to gas up.

You don't pick it up until the afternoon of the first day, like a hotel check in. So that day is totally lost. Your last day it has to be returned full of gas before noon, so that day is lost as well. Really only gives you 7 full days. Adding up the cost of rental, full hook up ( you'll need electricity for the furnace), site renta ( you can not camp for free) the cost of increased gas usage compared to smaller car, and propane for the furnace, it will not be a cost savings.

Plus our Thanksgiving is October 9 and campgrounds and some attractions will be closed by then if not before.

Are you planning on Jasper as well? If you only want to see Banff and the Lake Louise renting a condo in Canmore might be a better alternative.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,879 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timers

A lot of the rental RVs that I saw yesterday at Tunnel Mountain were diesel (there was a yellow warning on the gas hatch), which would mean they are cheaper to fuel than RVs using gasoline.

You will use more propane and electricity in colder weather to run the furnace to keep the RV comfy. There are year-round campgrounds in Banff and Jasper.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
586 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timers

We stay in a motorhome in Banff at all times of the year

It is the price of the RV rental that is by far the biggest expense

Consider the price of a hotel and constant restaurant meals before you worry about gas

Your gas cost will be about triple the cost of gas for a car.

Reply to: First Timers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Banff National Park