We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Columbia Icefield tour worth seeing in July?

Buena Park...
Level Contributor
21 posts
116 reviews
Is Columbia Icefield tour worth seeing in July?

We will visit Alberta in July, I just wonder is still worth to visit this spot?

Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,101 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Is Columbia Icefield tour worth seeing in July?

Why would visiting it in July be not worth it?

In any case, it’s only worth it for the novelty factor of saying you’ve walked on a glacier. It thrills people from warm climates who have never seen ice in nature. Personally for myself, I’ve done it once with a group of international students, which was fun to watch them play and have fun, but there are other places I’d personally rather spend my time. But it totally depends on what your expectations are and what interests you.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 04:46
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,945 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Is Columbia Icefield tour worth seeing in July?

Worth from what angle?

It is a bus that drives on snow that sticks around all year. If you have walked on snow before it is not a new experience and since they now package the Skywalk with the glacier because nobody was going to the Skywalk it makes it for a very long tour.

you can see the Glacier from the Visitor Centre and you will want to bring a premade lunch if you do not want to stand in line and pay top dollars for mediocre food.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
162 reviews
3. Re: Is Columbia Icefield tour worth seeing in July?

Maybe they thought the Icefields melt every summer! No they do not!

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
3,292 reviews
4. Re: Is Columbia Icefield tour worth seeing in July?

Yes, take the Columbia Icefield Tour.

Do observe the retreat over the past several decades

Buena Park...
Level Contributor
21 posts
116 reviews
5. Re: Is Columbia Icefield tour worth seeing in July?

Thanks for the information. I was wonder is the ice field melt during summer!!! I definitely will visit this place.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,817 posts
130 reviews
6. Re: Is Columbia Icefield tour worth seeing in July?

The sno-coach tour travels on the Athabaca Glacier, one of the outlet glaciers of the Columbia Icefield. More of the glacier melts in the summer than is replenished in the winter, hence the recession. And it's not just the obvious recession of the "toe" of the glacier shifting upslope, but the total volume of the glacier is also much less than it used to be. If you do the guided hike on the glacier instead of the sno-coach tour, you might walk past the "north pole", one of the rods inserted in the ice by which they gauge how much surface is melting. When I did the walk in August 2016, more than twenty feet of ice had melted from the surface that summer. You can get an idea of how much thicker the glacier used to be by comparing the present-day surface of the glacier relative to the lateral moraine.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 21:55
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
162 reviews
7. Re: Is Columbia Icefield tour worth seeing in July?

My definition of a Glacier is Snow and ice that does not melt away completely during the summer. What you walk on originally fell as snow thousands of years ago, but over the years has compressed down into a very solid sheet of ice. What you see now, and a few other places, are the last fragments of the ice sheet that covered much of the continent 10-20000 years ago.

Reply to: Is Columbia Icefield tour worth seeing in July?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted