We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Mayan - Walmart vs. Mega

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Mayan - Walmart vs. Mega

We are sooo close to our trip to GM which start 5/2! We're traveling with a 4 and 2 yr old and NEED to buy groceries for week. I see older posts discussing the Mega v. new Walmart but which one will be easiest for us to navigate with 2 kids? It seems if you take the bus, there are busy highways to cross. Our kids are good travelers so we'd love to take the bus there and cab it home but which is our best bet? Maybe cabbing ti both ways I best? One sure does have to readjust vacation expectation once you have little ones.

thanks!

Chicago
Level Contributor
137 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Mayan - Walmart vs. Mega

Haven't been to the Wal-Mart but the Mega is big, bright and pretty well laid out. There were lots of local families with kids when we were there. However, we left our kids back at the condo with grandma/grandpa when we went to Mega, which made it easier. If you do need to bring your kids along, it's no big deal - just get 2 carts, especially if you are buying beer and water. The produce, bakery and deli departments were great at Mega. We took a cab there and back (110 pesos from Paradise Village). Lots of little boys to help you bag you groceries and load into a taxi for a small tip. Plenty of taxis waiting as you exit the store, which also has an ATM. Enjoy!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Mayan - Walmart vs. Mega

The Walmart will be closer to you and very similar to Mega, but still at little complicated to take the bus. I think with kids that small I would just grab a cab both ways. There is a small grocery store at the Paradise Village Mall also, good for picking up just a few needed items. I have attached a map of the area. Hope this helps.

http://vallartainfo.com/nuevo.html

Riviera Nayarit...
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,674 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Mayan - Walmart vs. Mega

The WalMart and Mega are probably just like the super-stores in your area. Very similar to Super-WalMart, Super-Target or Super K-Mart. With the little ones, I'd definitely take a taxi both ways; WalMart will be somewhat closer to your resort than Mega is.

Enjoy your trip!

Henderson, NV and...
Level Contributor
516 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Mayan - Walmart vs. Mega

The Walmart in Mescales is much closer to the Mayan Resorts. You can take a taxi there and it will cost 60 pesos. If you go to Mega near Bucerias, it will cost 100 pesos. Walmart had everything you would need. It just opened a couple of months ago. You can take a bus to the other Walmart near the marina for 13 pesos one way. The bus is ATM, and can be picked up off the street near the Sea Garden. I guess you can take the bus one way and then taxi back. I don't know how much a taxi costs from the marina area. The other option is taking the ATM bus the opposite direction which heads out towards all the hotels along the way, then turns and heads towards Mega. I still think Walmart is easier and quicker to get to.

Sacramento CA
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Mayan - Walmart vs. Mega

We'll be at Paradise Village on May 10th. Usually we tip the Van driver to stop at Walmart at the Marina but its out of our way alittle. But from the info I'm getting from this blog, it appears that there may be a new Walmart closer to Paradise Village. Is this true? Is there a Walmart on the way to Paradise Village from the Airport now? Where? Is it closer to Grand Mayan or Paradise Village?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Mayan - Walmart vs. Mega

friskygz -

When you're coming from the airport, there are two exits from the main highway to the Nuevo Vallarta area. It doesn't really matter which exit you take, they will both get you to Paradise Village at about the same time. The new Walmart is located about a 30 second drive past the second exit. When you're done stocking up it's pretty easy to get back to the exits to NV, because there's a traffic light right at the Walmart.

This will be WAY more convenient for you than going to the Marina.

Sacramento CA
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Mayan - Walmart vs. Mega

Thank you very much! We're excited to be heading back to our "Paradise"!

8. Re: Grand Mayan - Walmart vs. Mega

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2010, 09:45
Get answers to your questions about Nuevo Vallarta
Recent Conversations