We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe excursions to send young teenagers on their own?

Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safe excursions to send young teenagers on their own?

Another question from me. Lol

Since arriving yesterday, I am just totally not feeling good, and I don't think I'll be able to walk much.

But don't want the boys to not be able to anything and be stuck at our rental.

Are there any excursions or activities where I can arrange for my 16 year old son and 14 year old nephew to go safely. Or any place where I can go with them and sit while they take part of the activities?

Any idea would be welcomed.

5 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
243 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe excursions to send young teenagers on their own?

Coba is still an easy excursion, kids can rent bikes and you can either hang at the entrance or hire a two-seater bike who will pedal you around through the paths - then everyone still gets to enjoy the park at their own pace and you can do it seated.

Hire a taxi to drive you there and back, bring pesos for the bike rental/admission

United States
Level Contributor
364 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe excursions to send young teenagers on their own?

I would see if your hotel offers some group excursions or could recommend a local tour group that they could join. I hope you feel better!! Bummer to be sick on vacation.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,559 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe excursions to send young teenagers on their own?

I'm not sure that any tour operator will take on the responsibility of these kids without you being present. A tour operator I've used in the past and recommend it Yucatreks - you may want to check with them and see if they'll take the boys without you.

If your only issue is walking but you *feel* ok otherwise, then Coba is an excellent idea.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 23:41
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,453 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe excursions to send young teenagers on their own?

I am not sure what exactly the situation is like at Akumal these days, but you could taxi there and sit at Lol Ha restaurant while the boys do some snorkeling. Or, head to La Buena Vida at Half Moon Bay and do the same- I think there is a lot of sargassum in both areas these days but it comes and goes, so worth the trip maybe to check it out.

You could also taxi to 'Cenote Alley' or even walk there as it's almost right across the highway from PA. Cenote Azul or Jardines del Eden. You can sit with your feet in the water getting a fish pedicure at Azul while the boys jump off the cliff, swim, and snorkel.

Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe excursions to send young teenagers on their own?

Thank you for all the ideas. Going to look into Coba and the cenotes.

I was wanting to take them to Xenses. Do you have to purchase the ticket even if you are not going to participate in the activities or attractions?

Reply to: Safe excursions to send young teenagers on their own?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Aventuras