We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo Maya?

Elyria, Ohio
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Barcelo Maya?

Looking to book this resort in March. What are the advantanges to booking the Palace? Does that include anything at the spa? We have been to Mexico numerous times...Iberostar...Sandos...El Cid. The Barcelo area seems like it may be a bit calmer?? The other resorts we have stayed at the ocean has always been so rough. Also, at Barcelo, are there places to eat at the shoppping area and are the included in All inclusive? Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Barcelo Maya?

We love Barcelo Maya. Have stayed at Tropical and Caribe sections and booked Colonial for August. Palace isn’t our style. Perks are unlimited ala cartes but we don’t feel like dressing up every night (long pants and closed toe shoes required for men). Every other night is enough. Palace also has rockiest beach (best snorkeling though). Rooms are a bit nicer and supposed to get Premium liquor, but I always order by brand name and never refused because we are only in superior class room. I don’t think Palace is worth extra cost. Restaurants in mall are included no mater what section you stay in, and Palace is at far end of resort, almost forced to use transit to go for dinner unless you don’t mind getting sweaty walking. Beach & Colonial sections have quiet pools, Animation teams (arobics etc) very loud - screaming mostly through speakers with volume cranked at Tropical & Caribe pools. We are beach people and don’t hang around pools much, but of the pools at Beach section are our favourite. Prefer lunches and drinks at beach grills over main buffets. Great views and beach attire allowed. Best kids splash pool is at Colonial, that’s why we booked it this time.

One thing though, booking at any of the sections other than Palace does not guarantee you will get the one you book. We booked Beach section last time but got Caribe. No matter as each section has its own advantages. I highly recommend taking rubberized mattress cover off bed to avoid clammy feeling at night, and pull fridge away from wall a bit so it can breath and work better. Also, don’t wait for towels, blankets, toilet paper, etc. Plenty of housekeeping staff with carts doing rooms, go ask if you need something.

Be reasonable about your expectations. The staff works hard and cannot drop everything to tend to individual needs. Negative reviews are a joke! It’s a great resort- book and enjoy! Oh ya, only water circuit at spa included with Palace. Must pay for services.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 11:56
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
2. Re: Barcelo Maya?

We have stayed at the tropical, the beach and the palace. Right now on Expedia there is not not much difference in price for palace or beach.

I prefer the beach resort. Best part of the “beach”.

Then if you want, you can pay for a dinner at the palace.$5 extra for Buffett or $20 for French or Brazilian .

The palace beach is not as nice. I also found the guests there to save seats more, leave more garbage around and be pushy/rude at the buffet.- just my experience.

There is a lovely new small pool at the beach section. It’s quiet. You can rent a cabana for $20 a day. Has the built in water loungers . Just lovely.

PM if you have more questions.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
3. Re: Barcelo Maya?

Also through Expedia you can book the beach, tropical , etc

Reply to: Barcelo Maya?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted